This Week in Pioneer Sports...
- The Sacred Heart women’s lacrosse team will open up its 2014 season against Fairfield on Friday at 2:00 p.m. at Campus Field. The Pioneers look to avenge an 18-3 defeat against the Stags last season. Sacred Heart senior midfielder Shelby Vaccaro (Bridgewater, N.Y.) led Sacred Heart with 36 goals and 21 assists in 2013.
- Sacred Heart University men’s volleyball team will face off against conference opponent Princeton on Friday, February 14th. The Pioneers are currently 1-1 in EIVA play and look to move above .500 with a win against Princeton. Sacred Heart is coming off a 3-2 win against NJIT in which Austin Arcala (Long Beach, Calif.) led the team with 22 kills.
- The Pioneers will also compete against George Mason on Saturday, February 15th at 7:00 p.m.
Women’s Ice Hockey
- Sacred Heart University women’s ice hockey team will face off against Franklin Pierce on Friday, February 14th at 7:00 p.m. and Saturday, February 15th at 2:00 p.m. at the Wonderland of Ice. The Pioneers were swept in their last weekend series with the Ravens, with a 4-3 and 4-2 loss. Sacred Heart looks to gain momentum from their win against Rhode Island at Webster Bank Arena on Feb. 8 behind 28 saves by goalie Alexius Schutt (Elk River, Minn.).
- Sacred Heart University men’s tennis team will face former NEC opponent Monmouth at Yale University on Saturday, February 15th at 7:00 p.m. The Pioneers are coming off a 4-3 win against Siena and look to even their record at 2-2 with a victory on Saturday.
- Sacred Heart wrestling will square off against Princeton and AIC on Sunday, February 16th at the Pitt Center. The Pioneers will wrestle the Tigers at 1:30 p.m. and AIC at 3 p.m. Sacred Heart looks to rebound from a 36-6 loss to Bucknell last Sunday, falling to 2-10 on the season. At 149 pounds, freshman Brendan Goldup (Schuylerville, N.Y.) hung tough with fellow freshman Victor Lopez, but fell 8-7.
- Sacred Heart men’s lacrosse opens the 2014 season against Binghamton on Sunday, February 16th at 12:00 p.m. It will be the first time the two teams met on the lacrosse field. The Pioneers finished last season with a 3-11 record, but went 3-2 in the Northeast Conference to qualify for their first NEC tournament in program history. First-Year Head Coach John Basti takes the reins for Sacred Heart, which returns senior attack Matt Gannon (Huntington, N.Y.), who led the team last season with 37 assists and 44 points. The Pioneers also return All-NEC First Team defenseman and senior captain Andrew Newbold (Loveland, OH) and sophomore midfielder Alex Dodge (Smithtown, N.Y.), who was on the All-Rookie team.