Pioneers Head Back to Hartford to Take on the Hawks Friday Night
SACRED HEART (1-1) VS. HARTFORD (0-2)
Game 03 * West Hartford, CT * Chase Family Arena * 7:00 pm
Setting the Scene... The Sacred Heart Pioneers return to the Chase Family Arena for the second time in less than a week to take on the Hartford Hawks Friday night. The Pioneers opened their season at the University of Hartford in the Connecticut 6 Classic, where they erased a 24-point second half deficit to comeback and beat Yale in overtime, 85-82. SHU saw their winless streak against the Big East extended to 17-straight on Monday night, falling at Rutgers, 88-62. The Hawks are 0-2 coming in with a pair of losses to Northeast Conference teams. Hartford loss to Quinnipiac, 65-61, at home in the CT6 and on the road at Mount St. Mary's, 70-63. The Hawks will also face NEC opponents Central Connecticut and Fairleigh Dickinson this season.
Series Notes... Friday night is the 19th meeting between SHU and Hartford.
- The series dates back to 1970 and the Pioneers lead 12-6
- The teams have met seven times during SHU's Division I era (1999-Present). Hartford won the first four meetings but SHU is riding a three-game winning streak over the Hawks.
- In the 2010-11 meeting, SHU found themselves down 20-points with just over eight minutes left in the second half before roaring back for 56-55 win at home.
Pioneers vs. the America East... SHU is 40-27 all-time when facing the America East Conference.
- The Pioneers have won eight-straight against the league heading into this season.
- SHU swept all three meetings last year, beating Hartford, Stony Brook and New Hampshire.
- The Pioneers have faced every team from the league, posting winning records against Albany (8-5), Hartford (12-6), New Hampshire (2-0) and Stony Brook (15-4).
- SHU is even with Binghamton (1-1) and has a losing record against Maine (0-3), UMBC (2-7) and Vermont (0-2).
- Sacred Heart will match up with the America East three times this season, facing Hartford and Stony Brook twice in a home/home series.
The Head Coaches... Dave Bike (Sacred Heart '69) begins his 35th year as the head coach of Sacred Heart University where he owns a career record of 521-480. Only Jim Boheim of Syracuse has spent more time coaching at one institution. He led the Pioneers to eight NCAA Division II tournaments and his 1985-86 team won the national championship while finishing 30-4. Bike was named the national Coach of the Year by the NABC following the title game. John Gallagher (Saint Joseph's '99) is in his third season at the helm of the University of Hartford men's basketball program. Gallagher is the 10th coach in the 62-year history of the University of Hartford men's basketball program. He returns to the sidelines after spending two seasons as the Hawks' associate head coach from 2006-08.
Up Next... The Pioneers will close out a four-game road swing on Sunday afternoon when they travel to Stony Brook. Sunday's match-up is the first of two with the Seawolves this season. SBU will visit the Pitt Center on Tuesday, December 18th.