SACRED HEART (2-4) VS. HOLY CROSS (4-4)
Game 07 * Fairfield, CT * William H. Pitt Center * 7:00 pm
Setting the Scene... The Sacred Heart Pioneers welcome the Holy Cross Crusaders to the William H. Pitt Center Wednesday night. The Pioneers are looking to shake of two-straight losses as they face the first of two Patriot League opponents this week. SHU dropped a 69-56 decision at Brown last Thursday. Junior Louis Montes scored 17 points in the loss, hitting 10-of-10 at the free throw line. The Pioneers were thin at the guard position with junior Evan Kelley and sophomore Steve Glowiak missing the game with injury and senior Shane Gibson going out in the first half against the Bears with injury. Holy Cross comes in at 4-4 but have lost two-straight themselves, falling at Providence, 61-42, and at Hartford, 48-45. Junior Dave Dudzinski is the team's top-scorer and rebounder at 12.4 ppg and 8.9 rpg.
Series Notes... Wednesday marks the ninth meeting between SHU and Holy Cross.
- The all-time series dates back to the 1998-99 season and is tied at 4-4.
- The two programs have met each year since the 2007-08 season.
- SHU is 3-0 against the Crusaders at home in the Pitt Center
- Holy Cross holds a 4-1 edge in Worcester after a 71-60 win last season
- SHU's 77-75 win at home on January 2, 2011 marked the 500th in the career of head coach Dave Bike.
Pioneers vs. the Patriot League... This is the Pioneers 23rd meeting with a Patriot League opponent.
- SHU is 12-10 against the league after a loss to Lehigh on Nov. 29th, 91-77.
- Sacred Heart will face three teams from the league this season, hosting Lehigh and Holy Cross and traveling to Lafayette.
- The Pioneers have faced Army (3-3), Holy Cross (4-4), Lafayette (2-1) and Lehigh (3-2).
The Head Coaches... Dave Bike (Sacred Heart '69) begins his 35th year as the head coach of Sacred Heart University where he owns a career record of 522-483. Only Jim Boheim of Syracuse has spent more time coaching at one institution. He led the Pioneers to eight NCAA Division II tournaments and his 1985-86 team won the national championship while finishing 30-4. Bike was named the national Coach of the Year by the NABC following the title game. Milan Brown (Howard '93) is in his third season at the helm of the Holy Cross men's basketball program. Brown has guided the Crusaders to a 27-39 mark. Brown's Crusaders have posted a 16-12 Patriot League record heading into the season. Prior to becoming the head coach at Holy Cross, Brown spent seven seasons at Mount St. Mary's where he lead the Mountaineers to the 2008 Northeast Conference Championship. Brown is 12-5 all-time coaching against the Pioneers.
Up Next... The Pioneers will head to Lafayette on Sunday, December 9th before taking eight days off for final exams. SHU will then be in action on Tuesday, December 18th against Stony Brook at home.