SHU Faces Saint Francis U LIVE on Fox College Sports & ESPN3
SACRED HEART (5-11, 3-2 NEC) AT SAINT FRANCIS U (1-15, 1-4 NEC)
Game 17 * Sat., January 19, 2013 * Loretto, PA * DeGol Arena
TV: Fox College Sports * Video Stream: ESPN3
Setting the Scene... The Sacred Heart Pioneers their longest Northeast Conference road trip of the season on Saturday facing the Saint Francis U Red Flash live on Fox College Sports and ESPN3. The Pioneers close out the four-game swing coming off a tough 66-62 loss at Robert Morris Thursday night. Senior Shane Gibson gave the Pioneers 27 points but no other SHU starter could break double digits in the loss. The Pioneers shot 47.7 percent (21-44) but were done in by 21 turnovers to just 11 for RMU to fall to 2-8 on the road this season. The Red Flash have struggled this season at 1-15 overall but have been a handful in NEC action. SFU has dropped two-straight in overtime coming in, falling to Quinnipiac at home on Thursday, 75-66.
Series Notes... Saturday is the 21st meeting all-time between SHU and SFU.
- SHU leads the all-time series 11-9.
- The Pioneers swept the season series last year, winning 71-68 in Loretto and 72-57 in Fairfield.
- SHU has won nine of the last 11 meetings in a series that dates back to the Pioneers first year in the Northeast Conference in 1999-2000.
- The Pioneers are 5-5 in Loretto all-time
Pioneers in the NEC... Sacred Heart is in its 14th season of play in the Northeast Conference in 2012-13.
- SHU is 101-142 in conference play since joining the league in 1999-2000.
- The Pioneers best finish in the league was second, a feat they accomplished twice, in 2006-07 and 2008-09.
- SHU has qualified for the Northeast Conference Tournament six times.
- SHU has made two NEC Championship game appearances, falling to Central Connecticut in 2007 and losing to Mount St. Mary's at home in 2008.
The Head Coaches... Dave Bike (Sacred Heart '69) begins his 35th year as the head coach of Sacred Heart University where he owns a career record of 523-488. Only Jim Boheim of Syracuse has spent more time coaching at one institution. He led the Pioneers to eight NCAA Division II tournaments and his 1985-86 team won the national championship while finishing 30-4. Bike was named the national Coach of the Year by the NABC following the title game. Rob Krimmel (Saint Francis U '00) is in his first season as the head coach at his alma mater. Krimmel is in his 13th season as a member of the SFU coaching staff and was named the program's 21st head coach on April 19, 2012. Krimmel was a three-year starter and two-time team captain for the Red Flash from 1996-2000.
Up Next... Sacred Heart returns to the Pitt Center on Thursday night to take on NEC leader Bryant. SHU will be back on the big screen next Saturday hosting Monmouth live on MSG Plus2.