SACRED HEART (9-15, 7-6 NEC) VS. QUINNIPIAC (12-13, 8-5 NEC)
Game 25 * Thurs., Feb. 21, 2013 * Fairfield, CT * Pitt Center
Setting the Scene... The Sacred Heart Pioneers welcome Constitution State rival Quinnipiac to the William H. Pitt Center Thursday night. The Pioneers are in sixth place in the Northeast Conference standings with a 7-6 record, a game behind the Bobcats in fifth. SHU has lost two-straight and four of their last five heading into their final two home games of the regular season. Quinnipiac comes in having won four-straight and six of their last seven. This will be the final meeting between Sacred Heart and Quinnipiac as members of the NEC. The Bobcats will be joining the MAAC in 2013-14.
Series Notes... This is the 63rd meeting between the Pioneers and Bobcats in a series that dates back to the Division II era for both teams.
- Sacred Heart holds the all-time edge, 40-22.
- Since joining the NEC in 1999-00, the series is tied at 14-14.
- SHU has won three-straight over Quinnipiac and beat the Bobcats, 80-74 on the road earlier this season.
- The two teams have met just once in the NEC Tournament, an 83-69 semifinal SHU win at home in 2006-07.
Pioneers in the NEC... Sacred Heart is in its 14th season of play in the Northeast Conference in 2012-13.
- SHU is 105-147 in conference play since joining the league in 1999-2000.
- The Pioneers best finish in the league was second, a feat they accomplished twice, in 2006-07 and 2008-09.
- SHU has qualified for the Northeast Conference Tournament six times.
- SHU has made two NEC Championship game appearances, falling to Central Connecticut in 2007 and losing to Mount St. Mary's at home in 2008.
Up Next... Sacred Heart will host Central Connecticut State University on Saturday afternoon in their last home game of the regular season. Saturday is also Newtown Community Day, where all Newtown residents will be admitted for free and a portion of the proceeds from the day will be donated to The Newtown Scholarship Association's Sandy Hook Elementary School Memorial Scholarship Fund.
Last Meeting with Quinnipiac… Sacred Heart senior Shane Gibson scored 31 points and the Pioneers shot 60.0 percent (15-25) in the second half en route to an 80-74 win over Quinnipiac at the TD Bank Sports Center on January 12th. Gibson had a tremendous second half, making six of his nine shots and hitting all nine of his free throws for 24 of his game-high 31 points. It was Gibson's first 30-point game this season and the sixth of his career. Sophomore Steve Glowiak had 14 of his 21 points in the first half for the Pioneers and got SHU off on a hot start, scoring 11 of Sacred Heart's first 13 points. Joining Gibson and Glowiak in double figures was Louis Montes who scored 12 and grabbed seven rebounds. Quinnipiac hauled in 45 rebounds, 23 offensive caroms that they used to produce 25 second chance points. Forwards Ike Azotam and Jamee Jackson each had matching double doubles with 10 points and 10 rebounds. All six QU three's came in the second half.