SACRED HEART (0-4, 0-0) at FORDHAM (2-1, 0-0)
Bronx, NY - Rose Hill Gymnasium (3,470)
Setting the Scene... The Sacred Heart men's basketball team travels to the Bronx to take on the Fordham Rams Saturday at Rose Hill Gymnasium in the Bronx.
Last Time Out... Evan Kelley led all scorers with 22 points, but a late run by Yale allowed the Bulldogs to pull away in the second half and win 80-65 at John J. Lee Ampitheater Tuesday night. Freshman Leo Vincent scored a career-high 14 points in 17 minutes off the bench. Chris Evans added 13 points and a team-high four assists.
Fordham Series Notes... The Rams lead the all-time series with Sacred Heart 3-0.
- First Meeting: Nov. 10, 2006 - Fordham 70, Sacred Heart 66 at Rose Hill Gym.
- All three games have been played at Fordham.
- Last Meeting: Fordham shot 55.6% from the field in the second half to turn a three-point halftime lead into a 69-51 win over the Pioneers on Nov. 15, 2010. Brenton Butler led Fordham with 17 points. Shane Gibson was Sacred Heart's leading scorer with 11 points, adding five rebounds. Louis Montes had nine points off the bench.
Sacred Heart vs. the Atlantic 10... Sacred Heart is 0-9 all-time against current members of the Atlantic 10.
- The Pioneers have faced Fordham the most of any Atlantic 10 opponent, playing the Rams three times.
- Last season, Sacred Heart lost at La Salle 100-71 on Dec. 22, 2012 and at George Washington 77-38 on Dec. 30, 2012.
- Sacred Heart has faced Duquesne, George Mason, Rhode Island, and Richmond.
The Head Coaches... Anthony Latina (Brandeis '96) is in his first season as head coach of the Pioneers. He becomes only the third head men's basketball coach in program history after Dave Bike retired following last season. Latina was an assistant coach under Bike for eight seasons. He was also an assistant for six seasons at Central Connecticut before coming to Sacred Heart. Tom Pecora (Adelphi '83) is in his fourth season as the head coach at Fordham. Last season, Fordham went 7-24 and 3-13 in the Atlantic 10.
Kelley Third In NEC In Scoring... Evan Kelley led all scorers Tuesday night with 22 points at Yale, making 9-of-13 shots from the field. It was his third consecutive double-figure scoring game, putting up a career-high 32 points at Holy Cross and 14 in the home opener against Brown. Kelley is averaging 19 points per game, putting him third in the Northeast Conference in scoring. He's also ninth in the NEC in field goal percentage at 49.2%.
Evans To The Foul Line.. Redshirt-Junior guard Chris Evans has also scored in double-figures in each of the last three games, scoring 13 points at Yale on Tuesday. He has done it by going 27-for-33 at the free throw line. Evans has made nine free throws in three straight games. He is ninth in the NEC with an .811 free throw percentage and 11th in scoring at 14.5 points per game.
Montes Moving Towards 1,000 Career Points...Senior forward Louis Montes scored a season-high 24 points Saturday against Brown, his third-straght double-figure scoring performance to open the season. He got to his 24 points on the strength of a career-high five three-pointers.
Up Next... Sacred Heart travels to Boston College to take on the Golden Eagles at 7:00 pm.