BROOKLYN, N.Y. – The Sacred Heart men's basketball team had its five-game winning streak snapped Saturday at Steinberg Wellness Center, dropping a hard-fought 83-82 game to the LIU Brooklyn Blackbirds.
De'von Barnett and Joseph Lopez led the Pioneers in scoring with 18 points each. Lopez added a game-high 14 rebounds for his ninth double-double of the season. Chris Robinson made four three-pointers on his way to a season-high 16 points. Quincy MicKnight added 11 points and five rebounds.
- LIU Brooklyn (18-11, 11-5 NEC) and Sacred Heart (13-16, 8-8 NEC) traded baskets early, playing to a 6-6 tie in the first 3:23.
- McKnight broke the tie with a three-pointer at the 15:03 mark, but four straight points from the Blackbirds gave LIU Brooklyn a 10-9 lead with 13:30 to play.
- Robinson made his first four three-point attempts in the half. He made back-to-back threes 0:37 apart to give SHU an 18-13 lead with 11:25 left in the half. His fourth three, followed by a Lopez layup that he assisted, put the Pioneers ahead 25-18 at the 9:06 mark.
- Shawn Montague's first career three-pointer with 5:25 to play put the Pioneers ahead 36-28.
- A Julius van Sauers three-pointer sparked a 10-2 LIU Brooklyn run that put the Blackbirds ahead 47-44 with 0:54 left in the half.
- SHU shot 58.1% from the field in the first half and made 6-of-10 three-pointers.
- LIU Brooklyn used a quick 5-0 run to take a 54-50 lead at the 16:48 mark.
- SHU responded with a 7-2 run over the next 1:21, as a Barnett fast break layup gave the Pioneers a 59-58 lead with 13:44 to go.
- The Blackbirds came back with a 9-0 run, capped off by an Iverson Fleming three, to take a 67-59 lead with 11:17 remaining.
- Trailing 78-72, Montague's second three of the game sparked a 7-2 run to get the Pioneers within one, 80-79, with 2:05 to play.
- SHU had a chance to tie the game at 83-83 with 0:05 left, but McKnight split a pair of free throws and the Pioneers couldn't get another shot off.
The Pioneers shot 55.2% from the field Saturday, holding LIU Brooklyn to 44.8%. The Blackbirds outrebounded SHU 38-34 and forced 21 turnovers while only committing 12. Fleming led all scorers with 24 points. Raiquan Clark had 17 points off the bench.