LORETTO, Pa. – The Sacred Heart men's basketball team lost its second straight game Thursday night, falling 73-64 to the Saint Francis U Red Flash at DeGol Arena.
Quincy McKnight led all scorers with 18 points, going 7-for-7 at the free throw line. Joseph Lopez had his 10th double-double of the season with 17 points and 12 rebounds. De'von Barnett was 7-for-10 from the field in scoring 14 points with five rebounds and two blocked shots.
- After Saint Francis U (13-15, 10-7 NEC) opened the scoring with two Keith Braxton free throws, SHU went on a 14-0 run over 5:13 to go up by 12. McKnight and Lopez each scored six points on the run. The Pioneers held the Red Flash to 0-for-6 from the field during that spurt and forced five turnovers.
- Sacred Heart (13-17, 8-9) held the Red Flash without a field goal for the first 6:11 of the game.
- The Red Flash then went on a 17-0 run over the next 4:40 to take a 27-20 lead at the 7:45 mark. Andre Woolford and Georgios Angelou made three straight three-pointers to give Saint Francis U a 21-20 lead with 10:22 to go.
- SHU closed to within six with 3:42 to play in the half as four straight free throws from Sean Hoehn and McKnight made the score 35-29.
- After their fast start, SHU shot just 32.3% from the field in the half. The Pioneers were a perfect 8-for-8 at the free throw line.
- SHU closed to within eight, 45-37, with 17:03 to play on baskets by Lopez and Barnett.
- Saint Francis U took its largest lead of the game at the 11:11 mark, when Angelou made his fourth three of the game to put the Red Flash ahead by 15, 57-42.
- The Pioneers went on an 11-4 run over 4:42 to get back within eight, 61-53, with 6:29 to play. Lopez scored the first five points of the run.
- Sacred Heart was just 1-for-8 from the three-point line in the second half.
SHU shot just 33.9% from the field Thursday night, while Saint Francis U shot 44.1%. The Pioneers made just 4-of-21 three-point attempts in the game and were outrebounded 41-39. SHU did force 18 Red Flash turnovers, scoring 19 points off those Saint Francis U miscues. Randall Gaskins, Jr. led Saint Francis U with 13 points. Angelou, Isaiah Blackmon, and Josh Nebo each scored 12 points. Braxton had a double-double of 11 points and 12 rebounds.
The Pioneers close the regular season at Robert Morris on Saturday, Feb. 25 at 3 p.m. The game will be televised on ESPN3.