MOON TOWNSHIP, Pa. – The Sacred Heart men's basketball team wrapped up the regular season Saturday with a 79-72 loss to the Robert Morris Colonials at the Sewall Center. With the loss, the Pioneers will be the eighth seed in the NEC Tournament and will play at Mount St. Mary's on Wednesday, March 1.
Joseph Lopez recorded his third straight double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds. It was his 11th double-double of the season. Quincy McKnight also scored 16 points, adding five rebounds. Chris Robinson added 14 points off the bench.
- Robert Morris (13-18, 9-9 NEC) took a 5-4 lead 2:17 into the game on a Billy Giles layup and Dachon Burke three-pointer.
- Sacred Heart (13-18, 8-10 NEC) came alive for a 14-2 run over the next 4:27 to go ahead 18-7 with 13:16 left in the first. Lopez and Robinson each scored five points in the run. SHU held Robert Morris to 1-for-5 from the field during the run and forced three turnovers.
- SHU led 27-20 at the 7:47 mark when an Isaiah Still three-pointer sparked a 10-1 Colonials run that put Robert Morris ahead 30-28 with 4:25 remaining. A Burke three capped the run.
- Matej Buovac put SHU ahead 36-35 at halftime with his three-pointer at the 1:04 mark.
- SHU shot 50% from the field in the first half and outrebounded Robert Morris 21-13.
- Sacred Heart led 41-38 with 18:43 left when Robert Morris went on a 10-3 run over 3:02 to go up 48:44. Burke scored the last five points of the run, making a three with 15:41 to go.
- The Pioneers came back with an 8-3 run of their own, as McKnight's three-point play with 13:43 to go put SHU ahead 52-49.
- A Clive Allen jumper then started an 8-0 Robert Morris run that put the Colonials back in front 57-52 with 12:14 remaining.
- The Pioneers got to within three points twice, as a McKnight jumper at the 6:57 mark made the score 62-59.
- Still scored 23 points in the second half for the Colonials. He made three straight three-pointers in the span of 3:10 to give Robert Morris a 71-63 lead.
SHU shot 42.4% from the field Saturday, as Robert Morris shot 51%. The Pioneers outrebounded the Colonials by 10, 43-33. Robert Morris made 10-of-18 three-pointers for 55.6%. Still led all scorers with 28 points. Burke added 17 points while Kavon Stewart had 15 points and five assists.
The Pioneers enter next week's NEC Tournament as the eighth seed. SHU will travel to Mount St. Mary's for the quarterfinals on Wednesday, March 1 with the game time to be announced.