Colonials Score Late Third-Period Goal, Pioneers Settle For 4-4 Tie

Colonials Score Late Third-Period Goal, Pioneers Settle For 4-4 Tie

(Moon Township, PA) – Robert Morris forward Trevor Lewis scored a game-tying goal with 28.5 seconds to play in regulation, as the Sacred Heart Pioneers had to settle for a 4-4 tie with the first-place Colonials Friday night.

Skating six-on-four (already on the power play and with the goalie pulled), Lewis redirected a pass off a fake shot from defenseman Denny Urban to culminate a feverish third period comeback by the Colonials.  RMU peppered 13 third-period shots and seven overtime shots on Steven Legatto (Kelowna, BC), who played brilliantly in making 48 saves to earn a point for the Pioneers.

In an entertaining, fast-paced, up-and-down the ice game by both teams, Sacred Heart opened the scoring on the first career goal for Chad Filteau (Regina, SK).  He buried a rebound off a shot from the point by Chris Brown on the power play 5:09 into the first.  Eric Delong (Oakville, MB) earned the first of his three assists on the goal.  The Colonials countered on the man-advantage with a Nathan Longpre goal at 9:10, but the Pioneers stormed back with two goals in the final minute of the first.  Mitchell Stretch (Saskatoon, SK) also scored his first career goal on the power play with a one-time snap shot off a feed by Tye Lewis (Vancouver, WA), with Ben Ketchum (Greenwich, CT) picking up the secondary assist at 19:18 of the first.  SHU continued attacking with 14 seconds left in the period, when Delong found Reid MacLeod (Teulon, MB) with a great cross-ice feed to the bottom of the right circle, where he spun and swept in his third goal of the year.

The Colonials pulled starting goaltender Brooks Ostergard for freshman Eric Levine, and Robert Morris responded by cutting  the deficit to one goal on Furman South's wrist shot from the hash marks at 12:37 of the second.  However, David Berube (Quebec, QC) got that goal back for SHU by knocking in a rebound in the low slot off a Delong wrist-shot and follow up bank-in attempt 1:15 later to make it 4-2 Sacred Heart.

However, with the Colonials on the power play to start the third, Urban stepped up right after the Pioneers killed the first penalty of a five-on-three to fire in a rebound off a shot by Longpre.  Robert Morris seized the momentum from there and went on the attack for much of the third until Lewis finally tied it.

"We're going to take the positives," said Delong.  "We came into a tough building to play in, we got a lead, and worked hard for it, and we did a lot of good things.  We just need to learn to bear down in the final minutes and go for the throat and get the win."

The Pioneers get their chance tomorrow night in the finale of a two game weekend series against Robert Morris at 7:05 p.m.