Sacred Heart Beats Air Force 4-2 at Arena at Harbor Yard

Sacred Heart Beats Air Force 4-2 at Arena at Harbor Yard

(Bridgeport, CT) – David Berube (Quebec City, QU) scored two goals, and the Sacred Heart men's hockey team beat the Air Force Falcons 4-2 Saturday evening at the Arena at Harbor Yard.  With the win, the Pioneers took three out of four points in a two-game weekend series with the Falcons, including Friday night's 5-5 tie.

Berube came roaring out of the gates returning to the line-up after two games, forcing an Air Force turnover at the blue line, before feeding Ben Ketchum (Greenwich, CT) to set up the Pioneers' first goal.  Ketchum then flipped the puck forward on a give-and-go with Berube, whose backhander tied the game at 4:10 of the first.   The goal answered the Falcons opening score 17 seconds earlier on a tip-in goal by Ryan Timer at 3:53.

"It's a great feeling," said Berube. "We haven't won a lot this year, so to get this win against Air Force could be a turning point for us."

Sacred Heart took a 2-1 lead late in the first at 18:28 on a goal by Torin Snydeman (Groton, MA).  He created the opportunity by forechecking on a bouncing puck flipped down the ice by Alex Stuart (Sauk Rapids, MN), who received the puck from Neil Fachini (East Hampton, CT) in the defensive end.  Snydeman settled down the bouncing puck, sneaking past the defense to rip a wrist shot under the cross bar for his second goal of the season.

Matt Gingera (Winnipeg, MB) made it 3-1 at 10:15 of the second period on SHU's only chance on the power play.  Chad Filteau (Regina, SK) moved the puck to Patrick Knowlton (Colorado Springs, CO) in the right corner, where he centered quickly to Gingera in the slot.  He then fired off a quick wrist shot for his team-leading seventh of the season.  Air Force responded with a quick power play goal of its own at 11:53 by Tim Kirby.  He found the back of the net on a rebound of his initial shot, a point blank wrist shot from the slot which was stopped on a remarkable save by Steven Legatto (Kelowna, BC).

Legatto denied the Falcons on every shot that followed, including stopping all 13 shots he faced in the third period.  He finished with 30 saves, including a number of difficult lead-preserving stops in the final period.  Air Force pulled their goalie with 2:22 left, and Berube netted his second on a breakaway started by chip out of the zone by Ketchum.

Sacred Heart is off next weekend, and returns to action Friday, January 21 when the Pioneers travel to Niagara for a two-game weekend series.