WATERTOWN, Mass.— The Sacred Heart men's ice hockey team fell to Bentley, 5-2 on Saturday night. The Falcons (12-17-6) scored three goals in the third period to force the deciding game three tomorrow night.
The Pioneers (13-18-5, 10-15-3 AHA) continued their momentum over from Friday night as they held a 10-3 shot advantage for much of the first period. Freshman Vito Bavaro, who netted the game winner last night, got the Pioneers on the board first at 17:01 off the two-on-one rush. Bentley got the equalizer at 6:39 in the second period as Max French fired home the feed from Jonathan Desbiens. The Falcons continued the momentum scoring just 1:11 later as French won the faceoff and set up Chris Buchanan for the slap shot from the point that snuck past SHU goaltender Brett Magnus. The Pioneers had several looks in the final minute of the second on the power play opportunity but Bentley goaltender Jayson Argue was able to hold them.
Sacred Heart tied up the game at 2-2, 1:12 into the third period as senior Jeff Carroll knocked in the rebound off the shot by freshman Austin McIlmurray. Bentley's leading goal scorer Kyle Schmidt gave the Falcons the 3-2 lead with his goal at 11:28 in the third off the rebound on Ryan McMurphy's shot. French added his second goal of the game at 18:13 off the feed from Schmidt to extend the lead to two goals. He then polished off the hat trick with an empty net goal at 19:29 to give Bentley the 5-2 win.
Senior captain Evan Jasper tied Dave Jarman ('06-'10) for the program's all-time games played mark at 147 career games played with his appearance tonight. Both teams were even on the shots on goal at 32-32. Bentley went 0-for-6, while Sacred Heart went 0-for-5 on man advantage. Magnus recorded 27 saves in goal for the Pioneers. Senior Jayson Argue recorded 30 saves between the pipes for the Falcons.
The deciding game in the best-of-three series will be tomorrow night at 7:05pm at John A. Ryan Arena.
- SHU controlled the puck to open the first, firing four shots on goal in first minute and half.
- Bentley finally recorded a shot on goal 3:20 into the first on the shot by Riggleman.
- Argue with the big stop on Stephen Hladin's backhanded shot on the breakaway as he deked past the defender on the 4-on-4 at 5:20.
- Magnus with the spectacular diving save as Drew Callin had the open look from the right doorstep at 12:06 in the period.
- Argue with the save on the shot from Danforth at the left circle at 5:58.
- Bavaro scored in back-to-back games for the first time in his career at 17:01 on the two-on-one rush for the breakaway goal.
- Magnus stopped the consecutive shots on goal by the Falcons 3:04 into the second.
- Carroll with the open look on the two-on-one rush at 5:30 but Argue made the stop.
- Hladin with the near side look but Argue gloved it at 16:00.
- With 12 seconds left in the second period Argue makes the stop on Danforth's open shot from the left circle, Zach Tsekos narrowly missed the rebound at the doorstep.
- The Pioneers were outshot 14-9 in the period.
- Carroll with his sixth goal of the season on the putback off McIlmurray's shot to tie the game at 2-2.
- Pioneers defense blocked three shots on the Bentley power play early in the third.
- Jasper with daylight on the breakaway attempt but Argue made the big stop at the 6:00 minute mark.
- Magnus with the stop on Riggleman's shot at 9:50 to close out the Bentley power play.
- Schmidt put Bentley on top three-two with the rebound of the shot by McMurphy at 11:28.
- Argue made one final stop on the empty net attack in the final minute on the shot by Hladin.