Men’s Lacrosse Falls On The Road At Providence 12-10

Men’s Lacrosse Falls On The Road At Providence 12-10

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Sacred Heart men's lacrosse team could not overcome a six-goal third quarter by the Providence Friars at Lennon Family Field on Saturday afternoon, falling 12-10.

Matt King (Brewster, N.Y.) and Cody Marquis (Londonderry, N.H.) each had three goals for the Pioneers. King also had an assist for four points on the day. Matt Gannon (Huntington, N.Y.) had three points on a goal and two assists. Stephen Kontos (Danvers, Mass.) won 15 of 24 faceoffs and collected seven ground balls. Tim Caton (East Rochester, N.Y.) had six ground balls and caused a team-high three turnovers. Jon Flood (Bay Shore, N.Y.) made 10 saves in goal.

Sacred Heart (0-5) got off to a fast start, scoring three goals on its first four shots. Marquis scored the first two goals to give the Pioneers a 2-0 lead. King then added a goal with 10:50 remaining in the first quarter to make the score 3-0. Providence (4-0) got on the board with 4:21 to play in the opening quarter, as Kevin Blair assisted on an Andrew Barton goal. King scored his second goal of the game 31 seconds later to make the score 4-1.

The Friars scored one more goal in the first quarter to make the score 4-2. Providence then took control of the second quarter. Blair, Sean Wright, and Robert Stack all scored in succession to give the Friars a 5-4 lead with 5:39 remaining in the half. Sacred Heart tied the game 5-5 with 5:01 to play in the second quarter when King assisted on a Shane Foley (South Brunswick, N.H.) goal. The two teams traded goals to end the half as tallies by Barton and King made the score 6-6 at halftime.

Providence got off to a fast start in the third quarter. Wright and Barton both scored to give the Friars an 8-6 lead with 11:36 to play in the third. Foley got Sacred Heart within one with a man-up goal from Alex Miller with 9:52 remaining in the quarter. Providence responded by scoring right off the faceoff. Wright scored his third goal just eight seconds after Foley's tally to make the score 9-7. The Friars extended the lead to 10-7 before Gannon's goal got the Pioneers back within two, 10-8, with 7:45 left in the third. Gannon then assisted on Marquis' third goal of the game, getting Sacred Heart within one at 10-9 with 5:21 to play in the quarter.

The Friars extended the lead to three at the end of the quarter on goals by Wright and Barton, taking a 12-9 lead into the fourth quarter. The Pioneers had two early extra-man opportunities to start the fourth quarter, but didn't convert on either. Sacred Heart outshot Providence 6-5 in the final quarter, and closed to within two with 2:34 to play on a Trevor Dauses (Glen Arm, Md.) goal. However, that would be the only Pioneers goal of the final stanza as Providence was able to run out the clock to hang on for the win.

Providence outshot Sacred Heart 41-29, putting 23 shots on goal to the Pioneers' 21. Sacred Heart held a 25-24 advantage in ground balls. The Pioneers were 0-for-7 with the extra man while Providence was 1-for-6.

Sacred Heart returns to Campus Field next Saturday, March 16, for a 12 p.m. game against Stony Brook.