Sacred Heart Loses 8-7 To Vermont In Overtime

Sacred Heart Loses 8-7 To Vermont In Overtime

FAIRFIELD, Conn. – The Sacred Heart men's lacrosse team rallied from a three-goal third quarter deficit Saturday to force overtime against Vermont Saturday afternoon, but lost in the extra period to the Catamounts 8-7. 

Senior midfielders Matt King (Brewster, N.Y.) and Shane Foley (South Brunswick, N.H.) each scored two goals and had two assists in the game. Junior attack Matt Gannon (Huntington, N.Y.) led all players with three assists. Stephen Kontos (Danvers, Mass.) won 15 of 19 faceoffs, including all nine in the second half and overtime. He also had a game-high 11 ground balls. Jon Flood (Bay Shore, N.Y.) made nine saves in goal.

Vermont (3-5) opened the scoring six minutes into the game as A.J. Masson scored his fifth goal of the season. Sacred Heart (0-8) tied the game 1-1 with 7:20 remaining in the first quarter when Foley assisted Cody Marquis' (Londonderry, N.H.) lone goal of the game. The Catamounts took a 2-1 lead with 5:48 left in the first, but the Pioneers tied the game 2-2 less than a minute later when Alex Miller (Ridgewood, N.J.) scored his second goal of the season.

Vermont took back the lead with 7:15 to play in the second quarter when Drew Philie scored a man-up goal to make the score 3-2. The Pioneers responded with goals from Foley and Mike Mawdsley (Innisfil, Ontario) to take their first lead of the game, 4-3, with 5:05 to play in the first half. However, Vermont tied the game 4-4 with 20 seconds left in the half on a Graham Horvath extra-man goal that sent both teams to the locker room on level terms.

The Catamounts controlled the third quarter, outshooting Sacred Heart 12-5 and outscoring the Pioneers 3-0 to take a 7-4 lead heading into the fourth quarter. Sacred Heart got back in the game with 12:14 to play in the fourth when King scored off a Foley assist to make the score 7-5. Forty-five seconds later, the duo teamed up again for a goal. This time it was King that assisted on Foley's tally, making the score 7-6. King tied the game 7-7 with 6:08 remaining in regulation. The Pioneers had a chance to take the lead with 3:04 remaining but Marquis' chance was stopped by Vermont goalie Justin Rosenberg. Flood did his part to keep the game tied, stopping a Horvath shot with 2:05 remaining as the game headed for overtime.

Kontos won the opening draw of overtime to give Sacred Heart possession. King had two shots go wide before Vermont caused a turnover that gave the Catamounts possession. Vermont quickly moved the ball upfield, but lost control of the ball in the offensive zone. Horvath found the ball right in front of the goal, scooped it up, and scored to give Vermont the 8-7 win.

Sacred Heart outshot Vermont 34-30 for the game and held a 34-24 advantage in ground balls. However, the Pioneers committed 19 turnovers to the Catamounts' 14. Vermont was 3-5 with the extra-man, shutting out the Pioneers on three different occasions man-up. Horvath led the Catamounts with three goals and added an assist. Rosenberg made 12 saves in goal. 

The Pioneers open Northeast Conference play on the road next Saturday at Mount St. Mary's. The opening faceoff is at 1 p.m.