FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Senior midfielder Alex Dodge tied a season-high with four goals Saturday night, as the Sacred Heart men's lacrosse team lost to the Wagner Seahawks 11-8 at Campus Field Saturday on Senior Night.
Dodge led all scorers with his four goals. Freshman Max Tuttle also had four points with a goal and a career-high three assists. Ryan O'Donoghue led SHU with four groundballs and added two caused turnovers. Greg Price made 11 saves in goal.
Wagner (6-7, 1-3 NEC) scored first Saturday night as Christian McCormick put the Seahawks up 1-0 55 seconds into the game. Sacred Heart (2-10, 0-4 NEC) tied the game at the 12:07 mark when Brian Masi found Bryce Jurk on a crease dodge to make the score 1-1. Julian Garritano put the Pioneers ahead just over a minute later with a man-up goal. The two teams traded goals for the rest of the quarter as Wagner's Billy Battaglia tied the game 4-4 with 1:00 left in the first. The Seahawks scored the only goal of the second quarter. Andrew Streilein scored unassisted at the 12:47 mark to give Wagner a 5-4 halftime advantage.
The Pioneers return to Campus Field on Tuesday, April 19 when it takes on Hartford at 7 p.m.
- Garritano's man-up goal was his third of the season.
- Dodge had two goals in the quarter. His second was assisted by TJ Fitzell for his first assist of the season.
- SHU outshot Wagner 12-5 in the quarter.
- SHU outshot Wagner 16-7 and forced five turnovers.
- Dodge scored man-up at the 10:31 mark for the Pioneers' lone goal of the third, assisted by Tuttle.
- Dodge scored his 18th goal of the season, and team-leading fourth man-up goal, at the 2:18 mark. It was his 59th career goal and 93rd career point.
- Masi scored the Pioneers' first man-down goal of the season with 1:15 to play.
- SHU won five of the eight faceoffs in the fourth quarter.