FAIRFIELD, Conn. – The Sacred Heart men's lacrosse team scored five goals in the fourth quarter Tuesday night at Campus Field, but it wasn't enough to get past the Hartford Hawks in a 9-8 loss.
Sacred Heart (2-11) took the early lead as Brian Masi scored with an assist from Tuttle at the 12:11 mark of the opening quarter. Hartford tied the game with 8:43 to play in the first on a Justin Huggins goal. Huggins then put the Hawks ahead 2-1 45 seconds later. Doug Biondi extended the Hawks lead to 3-1 26 seconds after Huggins put Hartford in front, with Huggins scoring his third goal at the 6:26 mark to give the Hawks a 4-1 lead. The Pioneers scored the only goal of the second quarter, as Julian Garritano's first marker of the night made the score 4-2 heading into halftime.
Hartford (9-4) extended its lead to 6-2 with 9:11 to play in the third quarter on goals by Huggins and Griffin Feiner. Reed Avveduti got the Pioneers on the board with 8:54 to play in the quarter, but it was answered by a Dylan Jinks goal at the 2:17 mark that gave the Hawks a 7-3 lead heading into the fourth.
Tuttle opened the scoring in the final quarter with a man-up goal from Dodge less than two minutes in to make the score 7-4. After Conor Van Duzer got the Hawks back up by four, the Pioneers scored three unanswered goals in 2:06 to close within one, 8-7, with 6:50 to play. Biondi got Hartford back up by two, 9-7, with 4:47 to play. SHU made one last run at tying the game, as Jurk scored with 34 seconds left to get the Pioneers within one 9-8. However, Hartford won the ensuing faceoff and ran out the clock for the win.
SHU outshot Hartford 34-26 in the game, with the Hawks holding a 30-19 advantage in groundballs. Both teams had 16 turnovers. Hartford won 15 of 21 faceoffs. Huggins led all players with four goals as Jaedon Henderson had a game-high three assists. Goalie Ryan Vanderford made 11 saves for the win.
The Pioneers are next in action on Friday, April 22 when Sacred Heart travels to #7 Navy for a 7 p.m. game.
- The Pioneers scored first for the fifth time this season Tuesday night.
- Masi's goal was his 20th of the season, giving him back-to-back 20-goal seasons.
- Hartford scored its four goals in 2:17.
- SHU outshot Hartford 11-4 in the period.
- Vanderford made six saves for Hartford.
- Reed Avveduti's goal at the 8:54 mark was his third of the season.
- Tuttle scored in his sixth straight game with his goal at the 13:14 mark.
- Jurk, Dodge, and Garritano scored during the Pioneers' 3-0 run in the quarter. Both Jurk and Garritano scored their 10th goals of the season during that spurt.
- Dodge recorded his 10th assist of the season on the final SHU goal. He's now had double-digit goals and assists in each of the last three seasons and has 96 career points.