Sacred Heart Wins Five Overtime Marathon With Villanova

Sacred Heart Wins Five Overtime Marathon With Villanova

March 28, 2009


Final Stats


Fairfield, CT - Sophomore Jon Flood (Happauge, NY) scored the game winning goal with six seconds left in the fifth overtime and goaltender Zack Frank (Islip Terrace, NY) made a school record 27 saves as Sacred Heart posted an 8-7 victory over Villanova in five-overtime marathon Colonial Athletic Association action Saturday night at Campus Field. The game was the longest in the history of Sacred Heart men's lacrosse.

The Wildcats appeared to have the game under control after Webber and Tommy Nolan scored goals to give Villanova a 6-3 lead with three minutes remaining in the third quarter. However, the Pioneers roared back to take the lead.

Senior Dan Casciano (Syracuse, NY) got the SHU comeback started with one minute remaining in the third quarter. The Pioneers kept the momentum rolling by scoring two goals in the first minute of the fourth as Billy Skelos (Lynbrook, NY) and Tim Russo (Lindenhurst, NY) netted shots to even the score. Bobby Rushton (West Islip, NY) netted his second goal of the night at the 12:15 mark to put the Pioneers on top, 7-6.

In the final minute, the Pioneers appeared to have the game won after Frank made his ninth save of the fourth quarter on a shot by the Wildcats Tim Langan. However, Frank had his long clearing pass intercepted by Tim Driscoll who raced down the field and deposited the ball behind Frank for the tying score with 22 seconds remaining.

Villanova, which out-shot Sacred Heart 56-35 for the game, dominated the possession in the overtimes. The Wildcats out-shot the Pioneers 17-8 in the extra sessions, including 8-0 in the second overtime. Frank made six saves in overtime and the Wildcats hit the post on three other shots.

In one of their few possessions of overtime, the Pioneers finally got the game winner when Timmy Katz (Freeport, NY) finally found Flood cutting to the net and hitting him with a pass. As Flood was falling down, he managed to get a shot off and it had just enough on it to trickle over the line for the game-winner

The Pioneers got off to fast start, as Rushton and Evan Morgan (Ashburn, VA) scored goals in a thirty second window three minutes into the game to put the Pioneers up 2-0 early on. CJ Small cut the deficit in half, putting the Wildcats on the board at the 9:51 mark but Katz answered back for Sacred Heart one minute later, making it 3-1. Paul Webber scored with 3:34 to go to make 3-2 after one quarter.

Villanova scored two goals in the second period to take a one goal lead at the intermission. Matt Pritts scored at the 8:15 mark and Chris MacDonald found the back of the net with 1:35 left to put the Wildcats on top at the break.

The Pioneers are back in action Wednesday when they visit Manhattan. Game time is set for 3:30 pm.