NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y.—The Sacred Heart men's soccer team started their 2016 campaign with a 2-1 victory over Iona on Tuesday. The Pioneers (1-0-0) took advantage of scoring opportunities early to outlast the Gaels (0-2-0).
Freshman goalkeeper Robert Strain (Danbury, Conn.) had a stellar first game manning the net for Sacred Heart. Against a Gaels offensive attack that fired a staggering 26 shots, Strain picked up seven big saves on the afternoon.
Senior Shaquille Saunchez (Kingston, Jamaica) nabbed the first Pioneers goal of the year in the 21st minute, scoring from 15 yards out. Sacred Heart would take the 1-0 lead to the half.
- Riley Sullivan fires the first Sacred Heart shot of the year at the 3-minute mark.
- Strain gets his first save of the game off Nunez's shot in the 17th minute.
- Saunchez puts Sacred Heart's first goal from 15 yards out in the 21st minute.
- Strain gets a huge save with seconds to spare as clock runs down to halftime.
- Nunez narrowly misses for Iona, hitting the cross bar at the 55th minute.
- Curras nails penalty kick to the left for first goal of his career in the 61st minute.
- Huertas puts Iona on the board with his goal at the 69-minute mark. Assisted by Nunez on the cross.
- Curras has final shot for Sacred Heart in the 83rd minute. Saved by Kellar Sirstins