FAIRFIELD, Conn.- The Sacred Heart men's soccer team fell to Army 1-0 on Tuesday afternoon in their last tune up before Northeast Conference play.
The Pioneers (2-5-2) attack featured many chances as they held the shot advantage 17 to ArmyWest Point's (4-3-1) 13. Sacred Heart also had a season high 10 corner kicks in the match. Freshman Oscar Curras (Alćoron, Spain) nearly got the Pioneers on the board with a penalty kick in the first minute but Army West Point's Justin Stoll made a spectacular dive to block the attempt.
The Black Knights would score the lone goal of the game in the 11th minute with Rex Epps booting the ball from 25 yards out. Nick Williams had the lead pass for Army West Point. Sacred Heart continued to push in the second half, with several shots nearly go in. Junior Aaron Schwartz (Waterford, Conn.) had his header hit off the crossbar in the 76th minute. Senior Callum Smith (London, England) had the Sacred Heart's last shot of the game, a header from Curras's corner kick hit off the crossbar as well.
The Pioneers begin Northeast Conference action on Friday October 7 when they face off against St. Francis Brooklyn at 3:00pm.
- Curras penalty shot is saved by Army West Point goalkeeper Justin Stoll in the 1st minute.
- Epps gets the Black Knights on the board in the 11th minute on a shot from 25 yards out through the right side.
- Robert Strain makes a diving save on Epps shot in the 51st minute.
- Kieran Walsh has his shot knocked down by Justin Stoll in the 75th minute.
- Schwartz's header banks off the crossbar in the 76th minute.
- Last Pioneers shot attempt a header by Smith at the 87th minute hits the crossbar.