FAIRFIELD, Conn.-- The Sacred Heart men's soccer team fell to Saint Francis (Pa.) 1-0 on a cold, rainy Sunday at Campus Field. The Pioneers move to 0-2 in Northeast Conference play.
Sacred Heart (2-7-2) controlled the first half putting six shots up to the Red Flash (8-4) two shots. The Pioneers also had five corner kicks opportunities as well through the first 45 minutes of action. Saint Francis would get the only tally of the game in the 47th minute, as Jack Webber collected the deflection off a throw in and chipped it in five feet out. Junior Ezra Siyadhuba (Bulawayo, Zimbabwe) led the Pioneers with five shots on the day, including three in the second half.
Sacred Heart will be back in action on Sunday October 16 when they travel to Central Connecticut for their first Northeast Conference road game.
- Sacred Heart took three corner kicks in the eighth minute but were defended by the Red Flash.
- Dominic Ramirez header for Saint Francis just misses the goal, going over the crossbar.
- Dylan Santos has his header attempt saved by Marcus Rojas in the 20th minute.
- Webber puts Saint Francis on the board with his chip in at the 47-minute mark.
- Pedro Neto's shot from 12 yards out gets knocked down by Robert Strain in the 52nd minute.
- Corner kick by Siyadhuba gets knocked down by Saint Francis in the 81st minute.