NEW BRITAIN, Conn.—The Sacred Heart men's soccer team fell in overtime to Central Connecticut State, 2-1 on Sunday afternoon.
It was a back and forth contest between the Pioneers (2-8-2, 0-3 NEC) and the Blue Devils (2-8-2, 1-1 NEC), as Sacred Heart only outshot Central Connecticut 16-15. The Blue Devils got on the board first with a goal by Luke Albertini from 12 yards out that went past Pioneers keeper Robert Strain in the 18th minute. Strain had a game high nine saves on Sunday. Sacred Heart would answer in the 52nd minute when senior Shaquille Saunchez dribbled past the defender and fired it in through the left side past CCSU goaltender Nick Velleca to tie it up 1-1. Saunchez now has six goals on the year. The Blue Devils would get the game winner in the 95th minute on a shot from 12 yards out by James Randall, as he kicked it right off the clear attempt by Sacred Heart to give CCSU the 2-1 win.
The Pioneers are back back on the pitch, Friday October 21 at LIU Brooklyn. Kickoff is set for 4:00pm.
- Saunchez header missed just high in the fourth minute.
- Strain made a big stop on a shot by Andres Muriel on the free kick in the 17th minute.
- Albertini got CCSU on the board off the quick pass by Beddouri on the corner kick to put the Blue Devils up 1-0 in the 18th minute.
- Velleca knocked down a shot by Oscar Curras in the 40th minute.
- Saunchez scored his sixth goal of the season on a chip in through the left side to tie it up at 1-1.
- Ermir Celaj's header attempt got denied by Velleca in the 81st minute.
- Ezra Siyadhuba has the last shot of regulation for SHU go wide at the 88th minute.
- Strain stopped a shot by Beddouri in the 90th minute.
- Randall booted his shot off a clear attempt by the Pioneers from 12 yards out for the game winner.