Sacred Heart and Mount St. Mary's Play to 1-1 Tie

Sacred Heart and Mount St. Mary's Play to 1-1 Tie

Oct. 14, 2005

Final Stats

FAIRFIELD, CT (October 14, 2005) - The Sacred Heart men's soccer team played to their second-consecutive tie at home this week with a 1-1 decision against Mount St. Mary's on Campus Field Friday afternoon in Northeast Conference play. The Pioneers are still searching for their first NEC win at 0-1-2 and are now 3-5-3 overall. The Mount, also 3-5-3, remain unbeaten in league play at 2-0-1.

The Pioneers wasted little time in striking first on a rain soaked day, scoring just 4:57 into the game. Freshman standout Jason Tessitore (Ansonia, CT) struck for his team-leading seventh goal to give SHU the very early advantage.

As play switched up field, the Mount knocked an arrant pass out of bounds where SHU freshman Luke Gagliardi (North Branford, CT) quickly picked up the ball and sent his throw in pass to a streaking Tessitore headed up the right sideline. Tessitore was able to get around the Mount defender and get a good angle on goal as he sent his shot into the left corner of the net for a 1-0 lead.

It looked as if the Pioneers' 1-0 lead would hold as the two teams trudged through torrential down pours for the rest of the first half and most of the second half. The Mount, however, refused to let the buckets of rain damper their spirits as they made one final offensive rush late in the second half.

Mount senior Gary Cover sent a beautiful crossing pass into the box toward the left post where sophomore Steven Cant dove in and got his head on the ball sending it past the diving SHU keeper, Matt Jones (Stoke-on-Trent, England) to knot the game at 1-1 in the 86th minute.

The remainder of regulation played out and the two teams headed to the extra sessions. The Pioneers managed just two shots in overtime but came up just short on both tries. Gagliardi broke free from the Mount defense and streaked in for a breakaway and possible game winner with just under two minute to play in the first overtime. His shot got past Mount keeper Mark Murphy both sailed just wide of the right post for the goal kick. Just 50 second later the Pioneer had another breakaway as Tessitore darted up the right side and let fire but Murphy made the stop and SHU never threatened again.

Jones made four saves for the Pioneers while Murphy stopped six shots. The Pioneers outshot the Mount, 16-11 on the day.

Sacred Heart returns to action on Sunday, October 16th when they host Monmouth at 2:30 pm.


Jones Nabs NEC Rookie Honors
October 24, 2005 Jones Nabs NEC Rookie Honors