Men's Soccer Holds Off The Mount, 3-2

Nov. 2, 2008

Final Stats

Emmitsburg, MD - Sacred Heart scored three first half goals and held off a late Mount St. Mary's rally to post a 3-2 victory in Northeast Conference men's soccer action Sunday. The Pioneers keep their NEC playoff hopes alive with the victory.

The Pioneers jumped out to a 3-0 advantage going into halftime and held on despite a furious rally attempt by Mount St. Mary's to earn its second-straight win against the Mount. SHU goaltender Matt Jones made six saves in goal to help secure the victory for Sacred Heart.

With the game scoreless, Matt Mones served a through ball to junior Felipe Celikkaya, who found the twine for his first tally of the year at the 16:07 mark. Senior David Backman then set up Mario Mililli at 23:49 to increase the margin to two goals.

After a foul at the edge of the box on the left side of the field, Backman buried the eventual game-winning goal on a penalty kick at 35:41 to hand Sacred Heart a 3-0 advantage going into the intermission.

Despite trailing by three goals, the Mountaineers came roaring back to cut the margin to 3-2 with 1:16 remaining. Wheeler had his shot stopped by SHU goaltender MJones, but Phinith was there to knock in the rebound at 57:23 to put Mount St. Mary's on the scoreboard. In the waning minutes of the match, Kyle Patrick crossed the ball from right to left and found Pathroff, who drilled in his first goal of the year at 88:44.

After Pathroff cut the margin to 3-2 with 1:16 remaining, the Mountaineers had a couple chances to tie the contest, but could not convert. Chris Wheeler nailed a shot high over the goal with 31 seconds remaining. Mount St. Mary's got the ball back one more time, but Joshua Barnaby's had his shot stopped by Pioneers' (4-7-2, 3-3-1 NEC) goalkeeper Matt Jones from the left six-yards out as time expired.

The Pioneers will be on home turf as they close out the regular season next weekend. SHU hosts Long Island Friday at 3:00 pm and St. Francis (NY) Sunday at 1:00 pm.