Setting the Scene... The Sacred Heart Women's Basketball team closes out the 2012-13 non-conference schedule Wednesday when they host Yale in the William H. Pitt Center. After topping Siena 61-60 on Sunday, the Pioneers come into the game on a three-game winning streak, while the Bulldogs are looking to snap a two-game losing streak.
Series Notes... This is the 14th time in program history the Pioneers have played Yale
- The Pioneers lead the all-time series 11-3
- Sacred Heart has every game against Yale since joining Division I in 1999 (10-0)
- On December 8, 2010, the last time the Pioneers took on Yale, Sacred Heart squeezed out a 70-69 victory.
SHU Against the Ivy League... Sacred Heart is 25-18 all-time against Ivy League opponents
- This is the only time this season that Sacred Heart will face a member of the Ivy League
- The Pioneers went 1-0 last year against the Ivy. The topped Columbia 60-42 in the 2011-12 home opener
- The only Ivy League teams Sacred Heart has a winning record against are Yale, Columbia and Princeton
- SHU has faced Brown (3-3), Columbia (5-4), Cornell (0-1), Dartmouth (0-2), Harvard (2-3), Princeton (4-2) and Yale (11-3). They have never played University of Pennsylvania
Back in Action... Sophomore Katie Shepard made her return Sunday after missing nine games due to an injury. Shepard recorded one assist and pulled down one board in the Pioneers' 61-60 rout of Siena. In her only other appearance this season, in the season-opening loss to Georgetown, Shepard notched a career-high seven assists and six steals in 26 minutes.
Top Scorer... Gabrielle Washington reached a season-high 25 points in Sunday's win over Siena. The sophomore went 10-for-19 from the field, tying her career-high. Washington leads the team, and is third in the Northeast Conference, averaging 16.7 points per game, ranking her 88th in the country. She has reached the 20-point mark on four occasions this season, and has yet to finish a game with less than 10 points.