Pioneers Wrap Up Road Trip at Robert Morris
Setting the Scene... After a monsterous win Saturday against Saint Francis U, the Pioneers carry the momentum a little father west for Monday afternoon's matchup against the Robert Morris Colonials. Sacred Heart looks to keep their strong offense going, after having five players reach double-digits in Saturday's 71-50 win. The Colonials, after winning the first two NEC games, are hoping to snap a three-game losing streak on Monday.
Series Notes... This is the 26th time in program history the Pioneers have played Robert Morris
- The Pioneers lead the all-time series, 18-7
- All 25 meetings have been as Northeast Conference rivals
- SHU has battled Robert Morris in the NEC Tournament four times, winning twice and losing twice
- The Pioneers lost the NEC Championship to the Colonials in 2007 by just two points, 68-66
SHU Against the NEC... Sacred Heart is 196-99 all-time against Northeast Conference opponents
- The Pioneers went 15-3 last season against the NEC, including three tournament wins en route to their third NEC Championship
- Sacred Heart only lost to Quinnipiac, Monmouth and LIU Brooklyn last year
- SHU has a winning record against all NEC teams: Central Connecticut State 26-13, Fairleigh Dickinson 22-1, LIU Brooklyn 15-12, Monmouth 17-11, Mount St. Mary's 22-4, Quinnipiac 34-26, Robert Morris 17-7, Saint Francis U 14-8, St. Francis Brooklyn 21-9 and Wagner 18-8
Last Season Against the Colonials...In their first meeting last year in Moon Township, the Pioneers overcame an 18-point deficit, thanks in large part to Blair Koniszewski knocking down five treys in the second half, to win it 71-64. At home, to close out the regular season, with the Pioneers down 57-54, Gabrielle Washington landed a triple from the right wing at the buzzer to send the game into overtime. SHU went on to win that one 70-66. The teams saw each other for a rare third time in 2011-12. The Pioneers knocked RMU out of the NEC Tournament, defeating them 61-56 in the semifinals.
Flirting with Four... Sacred Heart junior guard Ericka Norman flirted with a quadruple double Saturday afternoon, scoring 16 points with nine assists, eight rebounds and seven steals to lead the Pioneers to a 71-50 win at Saint Francis U. Norman was one of five Pioneers in double figures as SHU deals the Red Flash their first Northeast Conference loss of the season. Norman's performance earned her the honor of Ruby Tuesday's Player of the Game.
It's Been A While... For the first time in just over two years, the Pioneers had five players reach double-digit scoring. In Saturday's 71-50 win over Saint Francis U, Ericka Norman and Kiley Evans led the game with 16 points each, while 2012 NEC Rookie of the Year Gabrielle Washington posted 12, and Blair Koniszewski and Morgan Merriman each had 11. Norman, Evans and Koniszewski all contributed 11 points on January 2, 2011 in a Sacred Heart win over Wagner the last time five Pioneers reached double-digits. Maggie Cosgrove (C/O '11) and Callan Taylor (C/O '12) also had 11 points.