Pioneers Hit the Road; Face Mount St. Mary's Saturday Night
Setting the Scene... The Sacred Heart Women's Basketball Team opens a three-game road trip against Mount St. Mary's in the Knott Arena, where they are 8-3, Saturday evening riding a four-game winning streak. They look to make it five against the 6-12 (2-5 NEC) Mount, who is coming off a 73-58 win over Wagner.
Series Notes... This is the 27th time in program history the Pioneers have played Mount St. Mary's
- The Pioneers lead the all-time series, 22-4
- Sacred Heart is a perfect 14-0 against the Mount at home in the William H. Pitt Center
- The Pioneers and Mount have faced off four times in the NEC Tournament, with SHU leading the post season series 3-1. Mount St. Mary's defeated Sacred Heart in the 2001 Championship game, and SHU knocked the Mount out in the quarterfinals three times in 2005, 2007 and 2009.
SHU Against the NEC... Sacred Heart is 199-99 all-time against Northeast Conference opponents
- The Pioneers went 15-3 last season against the NEC, including three tournament wins en route to their third NEC Championship
- Sacred Heart only lost to Quinnipiac, Monmouth and LIU Brooklyn last year
- SHU has a winning record against all NEC teams: Bryant 9-7,Central Connecticut State 26-13, Fairleigh Dickinson 22-1, LIU Brooklyn 15-12, Monmouth 18-11, Mount St. Mary's 22-4, Quinnipiac 34-26, Robert Morris 18-7, Saint Francis U 14-8, St. Francis Brooklyn 21-9 and Wagner 18-8
Last Season Against the Mount... The Pioneers only faced Mount St. Mary's once last year. As part of their 15-1 home record, Sacred Heart claimed the 72-54 win over the Mount in the William H. Pitt Center on January 28, 2012. Now-graduated Callan Taylor and Grabielle Washington, in her NEC Rookie of the Year campaign, lead the game with 18-12 points respectively.
1,000 Point Milestone... With 13:25 left in the game, Katie Shepard dished the ball to Kiley Evans at the top of the arc. Without hesitation, Evans launched a jumper into the basket for her 1,000th career-point. Evans led the game, lighting up the board with 26 points shooting 78.5% (11-14) from the field and 57.1% (4-7) from the three point range as the Sacred Heart Women's Basketball Team defeated Bryant 62-44 Monday night in the William H. Pitt Center. Evans is not the sixteenth person in Sacred Heart Women's Basketball history to reach the 1,000-point milestone. That performance, in addition to Saturday's where she put up 19 points shooting 72.7% (8-11) and 60% (3-5) from the three-point range, earned her this week's Choice Hotels/NEC Co-Player of the Week nod.
On a Roll... The Sacred Heart Women's Basketball Team enters Saturday's game on a four-game win streak after sweeping the past two weekends. It all started with handing the Saint Francis Red Flash their first conference loss of the season live on NEC-TV 71-50, followed by the late come-from-behind 70-66 win over Robert Morris. This past weekend, they topped Monmouth 56-42 in the rematch of the 2012 NEC Championship game. Then, on Monday, defeated Bryant 62-44. Should the Pioneers win Saturday, making it a five-game streak, it will be the first time all season they have won more than four in a row.