Setting the Scene... The Sacred Heart Women's Basketball team is on a roll as of late. On Saturday, the Pioneers beat the Robert Morris Colonials 59-52, their eighth straight win. On Monday night, SHU hosts the 8-5 Saint Francis U Red Flash who have dropped their last two to Robert Morris (67-53) and Quinnipiac (61-50). Earlier this season, the Pioneers downed the Red Flash on the road 71-50 live on NECTV.
Series Notes... This is the 23rd time in program history the Pioneers have played Saint Francis University
- The Pioneers lead the all-time series, 14-8
- All 21 meetings have been as Northeast Conference rivals
SHU Against the NEC... Sacred Heart is 203-99 all-time against Northeast Conference opponents
- The Pioneers went 15-3 last season against the NEC, including three tournament wins en route to their third NEC Championship
- Sacred Heart only lost to Quinnipiac, Monmouth and LIU Brooklyn last year
- SHU has a winning record against all NEC teams: Bryant 9-7, Central Connecticut State 26-13, Fairleigh Dickinson 23-1, LIU Brooklyn 15-12, Monmouth 18-11, Mount St. Mary's 23-4, Quinnipiac 34-26, Robert Morris 19-7, Saint Francis U 14-8, St. Francis Brooklyn 21-9 and Wagner 19-8
Last Time Against the Red Flash... Sacred Heart junior guard Ericka Norman flirted with a quadruple double earlier this season against Saint Francis U, scoring 16 points with nine assists, eight rebounds and seven steals to lead the Pioneers to a 71-50 win. Norman was one of five Pioneers in double figures as SHU dealt the Red Flash their first Northeast Conference loss of the season. The Pioneers led from the opening tip to the final buzzer on Saturday, with Norman setting the defensive tone early with a pair of steals and transition lay-ins. SHU opened the game with a 23-5 lead and never looked back.
Eight Game Streak... The last time Sacred Heart faced Saint Francis U seemed to turn around the Pioeners' season. They entered the game 1-3 in conference, their worst start in program history, but the big 71-50 win over the Red Flash sparked something in SHU. That game kicked off Sacred Heart's eight-game win streak.