SACRED HEART (3-8) vs. Saint Francis U (2-9)
GAME 12 * Fairfield, Conn. * William H. Pitt Center * 2:00 PM *
Setting the Scene... This Saturday, the Sacred Heart women's basketball team takes on Saint Francis University in a rematch of last year's Northeast Conference semi-final to open conference play. The Pioneers took home the win in both regular season meetings, but were unable to complete the sweep as the Red Flash knocked SHU out of the NEC Tournament.
Series Notes... This is the 25th time in program history the Pioneers have played Saint Francis University
- These teams have faced each other twice in the Northeast Conference Tournament. The first time was in the title game in 2009 when the Pioneer took the 74-66 victory, and last year the two battled it out in the semi-final. SHU ultimately fell 83-67 as the Red Flash moved on to the championship game against Quinnipiac
- The Pioneers lead the all-time series, 15-9
- All 24 meetings have been as Northeast Conference rivals
SHU Against the NEC... Sacred Heart is 208-102 all-time against Northeast Conference opponents
- The Pioneers went 13-5 last season against the NEC, including a nine-game winning streak
- SHU has a winning record against all NEC teams: Bryant 10-7, Central Connecticut State 27-13, Fairleigh Dickinson 23-1, LIU Brooklyn 15-13, Mount St. Mary's 23-4, Robert Morris 19-7, Saint Francis U 15-9, St. Francis Brooklyn 22-9 and Wagner 19-8
The Head Coaches... Jessica Mannetti is in her first season as a collegiate head coach when the Pioneers tip-off in 2013-14. She comes to Sacred Heart after spending the past four seasons as an assistant coach at Hofstra University on Krista Kilburn-Steveskey's staff. While at Hofstra, Mannetti helped guide the Pride to a 72-55 record as well as a pair of appearances in the WNIT... Joe Haigh enters his second season as the head coach of the Saint Francis U women's basketball team. Haigh saw his team play very well down the stretch as they earned a 15th trip to the Northeast Conference Championship game. The Red Flash also earned an invitation to play in the Women's Basketball Invitational (WBI), which was the program's first appperance in a postseason tournament that wasn't the NCAA Tournament.
Up Next... Sacred Heart rounds out the first weekend of conference play against the Robert Morris Colonials Monday night at 7:00 p.m. at home.