Women's Hoops Welcomes Robert Morris Monday Night
SACRED HEART (4-8, 1-0 NEC) vs. Robert Morris (5-7, 1-0 NEC)
GAME 13 * Fairfield, Conn. * William H. Pitt Center * 7:00 PM *
Setting the Scene... After collecting its first Northeast Conference win of the season, the Sacred Heart women's basketball team hosts Robert Morris Monday night in the William H. Pitt Center. The Colonials are also coming off a win, squeezing out a 61-59 victory over Central Connecticut State Saturday afternoon. This game could be a preview of the 2014 NEC Title game as RMU and the Pioneers were picked to finish first and second respectively in this year's preseason poll.
Series Notes... This is the 28th time in program history the Pioneers have played Robert Morris
- The Pioneers lead the all-time series, 20-7
- All 27 meetings have been as Northeast Conference rivals
- SHU has battled Robert Morris in the NEC Tournament four times, winning twice and losing twice
- The Pioneers lost the NEC Championship to the Colonials in 2007 by just two points, 68-66
SHU Against the NEC... Sacred Heart is 209-102 all-time against Northeast Conference opponents
- The Pioneers went 13-5 last season against the NEC, including a nine-game winning streak
- SHU has a winning record against all NEC teams: Bryant 10-7, Central Connecticut State 27-13, Fairleigh Dickinson 23-1, LIU Brooklyn 15-13, Mount St. Mary's 23-4, Robert Morris 19-7, Saint Francis U 16-9, St. Francis Brooklyn 22-9 and Wagner 19-8
The Head Coaches... Jessica Mannetti is in her first season as a collegiate head coach when the Pioneers tip-off in 2013-14. She comes to Sacred Heart after spending the past four seasons as an assistant coach at Hofstra University on Krista Kilburn-Steveskey's staff. While at Hofstra, Mannetti helped guide the Pride to a 72-55 record as well as a pair of appearances in the WNIT... Sal Buscaglia, now in his 11th season at RMU, began the renaissance of Colonials basketball with his arrival in 2003-04. Since he has taken over, the women's basketball program has played in five national tournaments, won two Northeast Conference championships and earned playoff berths in nine seasons.
Up Next... Sacred Heart hits the road next weekend heading to Mount St. Mary's on Saturday followed by a trip to Staten Island on Monday to face Wagner.