Women's Basketball Travels to Wagner Monday
SACRED HEART (6-8, 3-0 NEC) vs. Wagner (2-12, 1-2 NEC)
GAME 15 * Staten Island, N.Y. * Spiro Sports Center * 7:00 PM *
Setting the Scene... The Pioneers are on fire in 2014 winning all three games thus far as part of a four-game winning streak. The Sacred Heart women's basketball team heads to Wagner Monday night as one of two Northeast Conference teams that remain undefeated (3-0) in conference play. The Seahawks enter Monday's contest having lost their last two to Bryant (80-63) and Central Connecticut State (80-71).
Series Notes... This is the 28th time in program history the Pioneers have played the Wagner Seahawks
- The Pioneers lead the all-time series, 19-8
- Last season, Sacred Heart dominated Wagner en route to a 76-47 win on the road in the Spiro Sports Center
- The only time Sacred Heart and Wagner faced off in the Northeast Conference Tournament was in the Pioneers' debut season, in the 2000 Championship game. The Seahawks took the championship winning the game 64-63
SHU Against the NEC... Sacred Heart is 211-102 all-time against Northeast Conference opponents
- The Pioneers went 13-5 last season against the NEC, including a nine-game winning streak
- SHU has a winning record against all NEC teams: Bryant 10-7, Central Connecticut State 27-13, Fairleigh Dickinson 23-1, LIU Brooklyn 15-13, Mount St. Mary's 24-4, Robert Morris 20-7, Saint Francis U 16-9, St. Francis Brooklyn 22-9 and Wagner 19-8
The Head Coaches... Jessica Mannetti is in her first season as a collegiate head coach when the Pioneers tip-off in 2013-14. She comes to Sacred Heart after spending the past four seasons as an assistant coach at Hofstra University on Krista Kilburn-Steveskey's staff. While at Hofstra, Mannetti helped guide the Pride to a 72-55 record as well as a pair of appearances in the WNIT... Lisa Cermignano will enter her second season at Wagner in 2013-2014 armed with a roster of six returnees that she will blend with a talented six-person recruiting class.
Up Next... Sacred Heart rounds out the road trip Saturday at St. Francis Brooklyn taking on the Terriers, who have had a stunning season thus far, at 2:00 p.m.