SACRED HEART (6-9, 3-1 NEC) vs. St. Francis Brooklyn (12-3, 3-1 NEC)
GAME 16 * Brooklyn, N.Y. * The Pope Physical Education Center * 2:00 PM *
Setting the Scene... Sacred Heart and St. Francis Brooklyn will battle it out Saturday afternoon to see which team will reclaim the top spot in the Northeast Conference. The Terriers and Pioneers were the only two teams who remained undefeated in conference play heading into Monday's contests. Both teams got the loss and now sit in a four-way tie for first place with Bryant and Robert Morris.
Series Notes... This is the 33rd time in program history the Pioneers have played St. Francis Brooklyn
- The Pioneers lead the all-time series 23-9
- SHU has taken eight of the last 10 meetings with St. Francis Brooklyn outscoring the Terriers 62.3-47.4
- Sacred Heart has 12 wins against the Terriers on the road
SHU Against the NEC... Sacred Heart is 211-103 all-time against Northeast Conference opponents
- The Pioneers went 13-5 last season against the NEC, including a nine-game winning streak
- SHU has a winning record against all NEC teams: Bryant 10-7, Central Connecticut State 27-13, Fairleigh Dickinson 23-1, LIU Brooklyn 15-13, Mount St. Mary's 24-4, Robert Morris 20-7, Saint Francis U 16-9, St. Francis Brooklyn 22-9 and Wagner 19-9.
The Head Coaches... Jessica Mannetti is in her first season as a collegiate head coach when the Pioneers tip-off in 2013-14. She comes to Sacred Heart after spending the past four seasons as an assistant coach at Hofstra University on Krista Kilburn-Steveskey's staff. While at Hofstra, Mannetti helped guide the Pride to a 72-55 record as well as a pair of appearances in the WNIT... John Thurston enters his second season as head coach of the St. Francis Brooklyn women's basketball program. Overall, Thurston embarks on his 41st season on the sidelines. In a season and a half, Thurston has collected more wins (23) than SFBK won in the five years before him (22). In his first season at the helm of the Terriers, St. Francis Brooklyn was picked eleventh in the preseason coaches' poll. Thurston led the Terriers St. Francis Brooklyn back to the Northeast Conference Tournament after a five year hiatus. The Terriers eleven wins marked the first time the program attained double-digit victories since the 2007-08.
Up Next... The Pioneers return home Monday night to host Central Connecticut State University at 7:00 p.m.