SACRED HEART (7-10, 4-2 NEC) vs. WAGNER (3-14, 2-4 NEC)
GAME 18 * Fairfield, Conn. * William H. Pitt Center * 2:00 PM *
Setting the Scene... The Sacred Heart women's basketball team is looking for revenge this Saturday against the Wagner Seahawks. Earlier this season, the Seahawks snapped SHU's four-game winning streak, handing the Pioneers their first Northeast Conference loss of the year. Wagner comes in having lost four of its last five games; the one win being against Sacred Heart. The Pioneers are coming off a strong 77-59 victory over Central Connecticut State on Monday.
Series Notes... This is the 29th time in program history the Pioneers have played the Wagner Seahawks
- The Pioneers lead the all-time series, 19-9
- Earlier this season, the Seahawks snapped Sacred Heart's four-game win streak, as the Pioneers picked up their first NEC loss on the road 79-70
- Last season, Sacred Heart dominated Wagner en route to a 76-47 win on the road in the Spiro Sports Center
- The only time Sacred Heart and Wagner faced off in the Northeast Conference Tournament was in the Pioneers' debut season, in the 2000 Championship game. The Seahawks took the championship winning the game 64-63
SHU Against the NEC... Sacred Heart is 212-104 all-time against Northeast Conference opponents
- The Pioneers went 13-5 last season against the NEC, including a nine-game winning streak
- SHU has a winning record against all NEC teams: Bryant 10-7, Central Connecticut State 28-13, Fairleigh Dickinson 23-1, LIU Brooklyn 15-13, Mount St. Mary's 24-4, Robert Morris 20-7, Saint Francis U 16-9, St. Francis Brooklyn 22-10 and Wagner 19-9
The Head Coaches... Jessica Mannetti is in her first season as a collegiate head coach when the Pioneers tip-off in 2013-14. She comes to Sacred Heart after spending the past four seasons as an assistant coach at Hofstra University on Krista Kilburn-Steveskey's staff. While at Hofstra, Mannetti helped guide the Pride to a 72-55 record as well as a pair of appearances in the WNIT... Lisa Cermignano will enter her second season at Wagner in 2013-2014 armed with a roster of six returnees that she will blend with a talented six-person recruiting class.
Up Next... The Pioneers round out the weekend hosting Bryant Monday night at 7:00 p.m.