SHU Kicks off Road Trip at LIU Brooklyn Monday Night
SACRED HEART (10-10, 7-2 NEC) vs. LIU Brooklyn (4-16, 2-7 NEC)
GAME 21 * Brooklyn, N.Y. * Steinberg Wellness Center * 7:00 PM *
Setting the Scene... After a 4-0 home stand, the Sacred Heart women's basketball team hits the road Monday night. The second place Pioneers take their 7-2 conference record to Brooklyn to face the LIU Brooklyn Blackbirds in the Steinberg Wellness Center. SHU is just 3-8 when playing at LIU and dropped the last contest 73-68.
Series Notes... This is the 29th time in program history the Pioneers have played LIU Brooklyn
- The Pioneers lead the all-time series 15-13
- Sacred Heart has 5 wins against LIU Brooklyn on the road
- The Pioneers and Blackbirds split last year with SHU winning at home 61-47 and LIU winning at home 73-68.
SHU Against the NEC... Sacred Heart is 215-104 all-time against Northeast Conference opponents
- The Pioneers went 13-5 last season against the NEC, including a nine-game winning streak
- SHU has a winning record against all NEC teams: Bryant 11-7, Central Connecticut State 28-13, Fairleigh Dickinson 24-1, LIU Brooklyn 15-13, Mount St. Mary's 24-4, Robert Morris 20-7, Saint Francis U 16-9, St. Francis Brooklyn 22-10 and Wagner 20-9
The Head Coaches... Jessica Mannetti is in her first season as a collegiate head coach when the Pioneers tip-off in 2013-14. She comes to Sacred Heart after spending the past four seasons as an assistant coach at Hofstra University on Krista Kilburn-Steveskey's staff. While at Hofstra, Mannetti helped guide the Pride to a 72-55 record as well as a pair of appearances in the WNIT... Gail Striegler enters her sixth season at the helm of the LIU Brooklyn women's basketball team in 2013-14, having put together an impressive stretch of three seasons from 2009-12. Striegler's unit in 2011-12 won 21 games, and over the three seasons, won 62 games, the most over a three-year span in program history.
Up Next... Sacred Heart makes the long trip to western Pennsylvania next weekend to faceoff against the Saint Francis Red Flash on Saturday live on ESPN3, before taking on No. 1 Robert Morris Monday night.