Pioneers Head to Pennsylvania to Battle NEC Foe Saint Francis U Saturday
SACRED HEART (10-11, 7-3 NEC) vs. Saint Francis U (9-12, 7-3 NEC)
GAME 22 * Loretto, Pa. * DeGol Arena * 1:00 PM *
Setting the Scene... The Sacred Heart women's basketball team continues to battle for the top spot in the Northeast Conference this weekend. Saturday, they will take on the Saint Francis U Red Flash, with whom they are currently tied for second place in the NEC.
Series Notes... This is the 26th time in program history the Pioneers have played Saint Francis University
- The Pioneers lead the all-time series, 16-9
- Earlier this season, in the conference opener, the Pioneers downed the Red Flash 95-88 at home in the William H. Pitt Center
- These teams have faced each other twice in the Northeast Conference Tournament. The first time was in the title game in 2009 when the Pioneer took the 74-66 victory, and last year the two battled it out in the semi-final. SHU ultimately fell 83-67 as the Red Flash moved on to the championship game against Quinnipiac
- All 25 meetings have been as Northeast Conference rivals
SHU Against the NEC... Sacred Heart is 215-105 all-time against Northeast Conference opponents
- The Pioneers went 13-5 last season against the NEC, including a nine-game winning streak
- SHU has a winning record against all NEC teams: Bryant 11-7, Central Connecticut State 28-13, Fairleigh Dickinson 24-1, LIU Brooklyn 15-14, Mount St. Mary's 24-4, Robert Morris 20-7, Saint Francis U 16-9, St. Francis Brooklyn 22-10 and Wagner 20-9
The Head Coaches... Jessica Mannetti is in her first season as a collegiate head coach when the Pioneers tip-off in 2013-14. She comes to Sacred Heart after spending the past four seasons as an assistant coach at Hofstra University on Krista Kilburn-Steveskey's staff. While at Hofstra, Mannetti helped guide the Pride to a 72-55 record as well as a pair of appearances in the WNIT... Joe Haigh enters his second season as the head coach of the Saint Francis U women's basketball team. Haigh saw his team play very well down the stretch as they earned a 15th trip to the Northeast Conference Championship game. The Red Flash also earned an invitation to play in the Women's Basketball Invitational (WBI) for the first time.
Up Next... The Pioneers wrap up the road trip Monday night at Robert Morris live on ESPN3.