Pioneers Host Mount St. Mary's Saturday in Annual Play4Kay Game
SACRED HEART (10-13, 7-5 NEC) vs. Mount St. Mary's (13-11, 8-4 NEC)
GAME 24 * Fairfield, Conn. * William H. Pitt Center * 2:00 PM *
Setting the Scene... The Sacred Heart women's basketball team returns home Saturday afternoon to host their annual Play4Kay game against the Mount St. Mary's Mountaineers after a disappointing 0-3 road trip. While the Pioneers hope to snap that streak, the Mount, who is on a three-game win streak, looks to make it four in a row in the William H. Pitt Center.
Series Notes... This is the 29th time in program history the Pioneers have played Mount St. Mary's
- The Pioneers lead the all-time series, 24-4
- Sacred Heart is a perfect 14-0 against the Mount at home in the William H. Pitt Center
- Earlier this season, Gabrielle Washington's 28 points led the Pioneers to an 84-78 victory at Mount St. Mary's
SHU Against the NEC... Sacred Heart is 215-107 all-time against Northeast Conference opponents
- The Pioneers went 13-5 last season against the NEC, including a nine-game winning streak
- SHU has a winning record against all NEC teams: Bryant 11-7, Central Connecticut State 28-13, Fairleigh Dickinson 24-1, LIU Brooklyn 15-14, Mount St. Mary's 24-4, Robert Morris 20-8, Saint Francis U 16-10, St. Francis Brooklyn 22-10 and Wagner 20-9
The Head Coaches... Jessica Mannetti is in her first season as a collegiate head coach when the Pioneers tip-off in 2013-14. She comes to Sacred Heart after spending the past four seasons as an assistant coach at Hofstra University on Krista Kilburn-Steveskey's staff. While at Hofstra, Mannetti helped guide the Pride to a 72-55 record as well as a pair of appearances in the WNIT... Bryan Whitten will begin his seventh season as the Mount St. Mary's women's basketball coach in 2013-14. Whitten and the Mountaineers are coming off a 15-16 record in the 2012-13 season that saw the program's first trip the Northeast Conference semifinals since the 2000-01 season. The squad's 15 wins were also the most in Whitten's tenure and the most for a Mount team in a season since the 2000-01 campaign.
Up Next... Sacred Heart will host the St. Francis Brooklyn Terriers Monday night at 7:00 p.m.