SACRED HEART (0-3, 0-0 NEC) vs. COASTAL CAROLINA (3-1, 0-0 Big South)
GAME 4 * Guaynabo, Puerto Rico * Mario Morales Coliseum * 11:00 AM
Inside the Series...
This is the first meeting between Sacred Heart and Coastal Carolina in program history
Scouting the Chanticleers...
- Coastal Carolina is curently averaging 82 points per game, but their two highest scoring games came against a Division II (105-15 win over Mid-Atlantic Christian) and an NAIA opponent (86-45 win over Allen University). Against Division I opponents, the Chanticleers are averaging 68.5
- In a high-scoring affair, Coastal Caro. fell to NEC opponent Saint Francis U 106-74 in the third game of the season for their only loss so far
- Leading scorer Rachael Gregory is currently fourth in the Big South averaging 17.3 points per game
- The Chanticleers were predicted to finish 10th in the league in the Big South's coaches preseason poll this year
SHU Against the Big South...
- The Pioneers have only faced one member of the Big South throughout the program's 40-year history
- In 2012-13, SHU opened the season at Georgetown in the Preseason WNIT. After losing to the Hoyas, the Pioneers went to Liberty for the consolation bracket
- A win over Sam Houston State meant the Pioneers matched up with the hosting Flames in the final game
- Sacred Heart flew home after a 68-63 loss to Liberty making them 0-1 against the Flames and the Big South
Tarsi's Big Day...
Senior Alissa Tarsi reached a pair of career milestones on Saturday. Against Fairfield, the Clinton, N.J. native grabbed a career-best 10 rebounds and was just one point short of tying her career-high with 17 points for her first ever double-double
The 800 Club...
Hannah Kimmel came into Saturday's crosstown matchup needing just three points to eclipse the 800-point milestone. For someone who averaged 20.5 point per game through the first two of the season, that feat seemed easy. While she did not have her third straight 20-plus point game, exactly nine months after reaching 700 career points, the RS-junior did tally 11 in SHU's loss edging herself closer to 1,000 career points.
Saturday's starting lineup of Williams, Kimmel, Castro, Hickey and Tarsi accounted for all of SHU's 50 points. Polyzou, Carter, Storck and Hardee came off the bench abd cinvubed fir four rebounds and one steal.
For the first time since Feb. 9, 2015, thsi Saturday against Fairfield, two Pioneers recorded double-doubles in a game. For Alissa Tarsi her 17 points and 10 rebounds marked her first career double-double, but for Hannah Kimmel this was already her second of the season having 11 points and 10 rebounds.
History of 0-3...
Prior to this year, since rising to the Division I ranks, the Pioneers have had three seasons in which they opened 0-3. Each ended in a winning season, and in 2008-09 the Pioneers swept the NEC slate, which culminated in their second Championship:
|Season||Opening Streak||Final Record|
|2008-09||L5||25-8 (NEC Champs)|