SACRED HEART (1-5, 0-0 NEC) vs. VERMONT (1-6, 0-0 America East)
GAME 7 * Burlington, Vt. * Patrick Gymnasium * 2:00 PM
Inside the Series...
- This is the second meeting between SHU and Vermont during SHU's Division I era in the second game of a home-and-home contract
- The first time they met, and the only time Sacred Heart traveled to Vermont, was back in 1985
Scouting the Catamounts...
- After topping Northeast Conference member Central Conencticut State 79-63, the Catamounts come into Sunday's game on a six-game slide
- Sacred Heart will be the fourth NEC team Vermont faces so far this season. UVM already has a 1-2 record against the conference. After beating CCSU, the Catamounts fell to Bryant 71-54 and reigning NEC Champion St. Francis Brooklyn 59-55
- Sophomore guard Sydney Smith is leading the Catamounts averaging 14.1 points and 6.0 rebounds per game
Last Time They Met...
- Hannah Kimmel led SHU team to a 76-66 victory over Vermont on Dec. 3, 2014 with a then-career-high 29 points helping the Pioneers improve to 4-1 on the season
- The red shirt-junior shot a career-best 76.9% (10-13) from the field as SHU put on one of its strongest offensive performances of the season shooting 48.1% collectively from the floor.
- Sacred Heart took an 11-point lead, 28-17, with 8:21 remaining in the first half with an Adaysha Williams layup, but the Catamounts worked their way back into the game to cut the Pioneers' lead to six at halftime, 39-33.
- SHU continued to increase its lead throughout the second half. With the clock running down, Kimmel landed one of two from the line giving the Pioneers their largest lead of the game, 76-64.
SHU Against the America East...
- SHU is 47-53 all-time agaisnt America East opponents
- Vermont is the third of four American East teams on Sacred Heart's non-conference slate this season.
- The Pioneers opened the season with a last-second 68-67 loss to Hartford, followed by an 81-69 loss to New Hampshire
- SHU is set to play Binghamton at home on December 12
- The Pioneers hold winning records over Albany (9-6), Binghamton (4-2), Maine (2-0), UMBC (6-2), and Stony Brook (11-5), while having losing records against Hartford (5-7), UMass Lowell (8-28), and New Hampshire (1-2)
Strong First Halves...
The Pioneers have outscored their last two opponents a combined 56-53 in the first half, holding leads over both LA-Lafayette and St. John's at halftime. Strong shooting (46.2% from the floor) led Sacred Heart to a 31-30 advantage over the Big East member Thursday, but, as was the case against the Ragin' Cajans, the Pioneers stumbled in the fourth quarter and were unable to recover for the win in either game.