SACRED HEART (2-9, 0-0 NEC) vs. ROBERT MORRIS (6-5, 0-0 NEC)
GAME 12 * Moon Township, Pa. * Charles L. Sewall Center * 1:00 PM
Inside the Series...
- SHU leads the all-time series with Robert Morris 21-9 after splitting the 2014-15 season
- Last season, each team won at their respective home courts
- Always playing each other close, over the last five years the average margin of victory between the two teams is nine points, three of those nine games were decided by less than five points
- All meetings between SHU and RMU have come as Division I conference foes
- The Pioneers have faced Robert Morris four times in the NEC Tournament, winning twice and losing twice, including the falling to the Colonials in the 2007 championship game by just two points, 68-66
SHU Against the NEC...
- The Pioneers are 195-90 against Northeast Conference opponents all-time, and 182-69 during the Division I era
- Sacred Heart has winning records against all but one league foe, posting winning records against Bryant (13-9), Central Conn. St. (28-16), Fairleigh Dickinson (25-3), Mount St. Mary's (26-5), Robert Morris (21-9), St. Francis Brooklyn (26-12), Saint Francis U (18-11) and Wagner (22-9). It's only losing record comes against LIU Brooklyn (15-16)
- SHU is the only team to make the NEC Tournament every year while a member of the league dating back to the 1999-00 season
Scouting the Colonials...
- RMU comes into conference play riding a two-game win streak having topped their most recent opponents, Delaware 53-50 and Georgia Souther 64-49
- The Robert Morris defense currently leads the NEC holding opponents to just 60.3 points per game
- The Colonials are led by two-time All-NEC selection Anna Niki Stamolamprou
- Robert Morris was picked to finish atop the league for the third straight year in the 2015-16 NEC Coaches Preseason Poll garnering seven first-place votes, and currently has the best overall record amongst the league's ten teams
Last Time They Met...
- SHU took an early lead, but the Colonials chipped away for a 27-25 lead at halftime
- With just under 17 minutes to play then-senior Katie Shepard brough SHU within one hitting 1-of-2 shots from the charity stripe
- On the Pioneers' next possession, Lerae Ettienne, who tallied 10 points in the victory, put Sacred Heart ahead for the final time, 33-32, right in the middle of SHU's crucial 16-0 run, which featured back-to-back layins from Katherine Haines and a pair of free throws from Shelby Hickey for a 41-32 advantage Robert Morris could not come back from
- Anna Niki Stamolamprou led all players with 19 points, while Hannah Kimmel was right behing her with 18 to lead SHU
Like She Stole Something...
Alissa Tarsi caused nearly a handful of Buffalo turnovers Tuesday night when she tallied a career-high four steals. This number is also the most steals any Pioneer has recorded in a single game this season.
Starting the Year off Right...
The Pioneers are 13-3 in Northeast Conference schedule openers over the last 15 years of being in the league. In each of its three championship season, Sacred Heart has won the conference opener.
Here We Go...
After finishing fourth in the league in 2014-15 with an 11-7 conference record, the Pioneers were picked fifth in the 2015 NEC Preseason Coaches Poll. Robert Morris, who won it all in 2014, received seven first-place votes landing atop the poll, while Bryant was second with two first-place nods and Central Connecticut State received one to place third. The Bulldogs and Blue Devils shared the regular season crown in 2015, but St. Francis Brooklyn rose to the challenge in the tournament to win its first NEC Championship.
For the first time in her young career, SHU freshman Cleo Polyzou will play against another Greek player on American soil. Robert Morris stand out, and two-time All-NEC selection, Anna Nikki Stamolamprou hails from Thessaloniki, and rookie Viki Karambatsa is from Polyzou's hometown of Athens.