NEW BRITAIN, CONN. (January 7, 2017)— The Sacred Heart women's basketball team travelled up to New Britain, Connecticut to take on the Blue Devils of Central Connecticut. Katherine Haines (Ridgefield Park, N.J.) lead the Pioneers with 15 points and records her third straight double-digit game, as the Pioneers fell 67-50 to the Central Connecticut Blue Devils.
Graduate Kelcey Castro (Fairlawn, N.J.) who ended the first quarter with seven points kept rolling into the second quarter as she tallied five of the Pioneers seven points in the second where the Blue Devils took over the lead 30-24 prior to halftime.
Central Connecticut managed to maintain the lead the remainder of the game as they finished the third quarter with a 10-point lead 49-39. Haines lit up the scoreboard in the third, tallying 10 hard fought points in the paint to keep the Pioneers in the game.
The Pioneers finished with three scoring in the double digits, Haines (15), Castro (12), and Kimmel (10). The Blue Devils managed to hold on to their lead to close out the game 67-50.
The Pioneers are now 5-9 (2-1 NEC) and look to hit the road to Staten Island, and take on the Seahawks of Wagner on Monday at 7pm.
- Haines puts up double-digit points for the third straight game. Shooting .538 from the field, (7-13) Haines managed to keep SHU in the game, scoring 10 points in the third period alone
Inside the Box:
- Haines, Kimmel, and Castro all ended the night with six rebounds, as the Pioneers were out rebounded 46-31. SHU finished the night shooting .305 from the field
- Late in the fourth quarter, Andi Lydon from CCSU made a layup to extend the Blue Devils lead 60-49
How It Happened:
- Kimmel was on fire early scoring Sacred Hearts first eight points, and shooting 2-2 beyond the arc
- Castro drained a buzzer beater to close the first period and give SHU the 17-14 lead
- Both SHU and CCSU ended the first quarter with a field goal percentage of .375, while Sacred Heart shot .500 (3-6) from beyond the arc
- Central Connecticut's Ashley Chin hit a jumper to give the Blue Devils the 18-17 lead with 6:22 left in the second period
- CCSU went on a 11-2 run to start the second quarter taking a 25-19 lead with 4:00 minutes remaining
- Castro broke the Blue Devil run with a hit jump shot from downtown to keep the Pioneers in the game 25-22
- Central Connecticut's Sydney Hines closed out the first half hitting a pair of jump shots, one from beyond the arc to give the Blue Devils the 30-24 lead at the half
- Castro ended the first half just one point shy (12) of her season high 13 points
- Haines opened up the third quarter with a made layup but CCSU answered quickly draining a jumper from downtown
- Haines continued to put the Pioneers on her back in the second half making the first 10 of the Pioneers 11 points.
- The Pioneers struggled with foul trouble to close the third period, as CCSU capitalized on the line shooting 61.5% (8-13) and took a 49-39 lead to go into the final quarter
- Shelby Hickey hit a deep shot from downtown to put the game within seven with 8:47 remaining
- Central Connecticut went on a 10-1 run late in the fourth quarter to solidify the win, and take the game 67-50