SACRED HEART (5-9, 2-1 NEC) VS WAGNER (1-13, 0-3 NEC)
GAME 15 *Staten Island, N.Y. *Basketball Gymnasium* 7:00p PM
The Sacred Heart women's basketball team comes off their first loss in Northeast Conference play, coming from Central Connecticut on Saturday. The Pioneers have defeated Robert Morris (69-59) and Saint Francis U (73-63). SHU now look to continue their winning ways as they hit the road to take on The Seahawks of Wagner, Monday January 9th at 7:00pm.
Scouting the Seahawks...
- Wagner comes into Saturday's NEC competition owning a 1-13 record after the non-conference slate. They Recently opened up NEC play taking on Central Connecticut where they lost 66-53
- Mount St. Mary was the next contest where they fell 66-47, they also lost a nail biter against Fairleigh Dickinson 59-53
- Wagner currently sits on a twelve game losing streak looking to pick up their first win in Conference play
- Going into Monday's contest, Wagner is the lone team without a win in the NEC
Inside the Series...
- SHU leads the all-time series with Wagner 24-9, and currently have a five game winning streak against the Seahawks
- The match-up sits at 7-1, in the past five seasons. The last time Wagner picked up a victory over the Pioneers was 1/13/14 in a regular season game that ended 79-70
- Wagner has had trouble with Sacred Heart in the past at keeping games close, SHU managed to win by double digit numbers in three of the last five match-ups
SHU Against the NEC...
- The Pioneers are 212-93 against Northeast Conference opponents all-time, and 201-71 during the Division I era
- Sacred Heart has winning records against all league foes, posting winning records against Bryant (13-10), Central Connecticut (30-17), Fairleigh Dickinson (27-3), LIU Brooklyn (18-16), Mount St. Mary's (29-5), Robert Morris (23-10), St. Francis Brooklyn (26-12), Saint Francis U (22-11) and Wagner (24-9)
- SHU is the only team to make the NEC Tournament every year while a member of the league dating back to the 1999-00 season
NAME (GP-GS) PPG RPG APG MIN
Adaysha Williams(6-6) 13.3 4.6 2.3 34.3
Hannah Kimmel (6-6) 17.5 9 .5 30
Shelby Hickey (6-2) 3 2.5 .6 17.6
Kelcey Castro (2-2) 18.5 1.5 2.5 32
Tykera Carter (3-0) 2.3 1.3 .6 6.6
Erin Storck (1-0) 0 3 1 20
Katherine Haines (2-0) 5.5 4.5 .5 14
Kimmel vs. The Seahawks...
Hannah Kimmel has posted double digit scoring against the Seahawks in all six games averaging 17.5 PPG. She has recorded a double-double in four of her six games taking on Wagner, and averages just shy with nine rebounds. Kimmel comes into Monday's game averaging 14.6 PPG and 6.2 RPG. She has recorded double digit scoring in all three NEC games this season.
Pioneers on the Road...
Sacred Heart goes into Monday's game 2-6 on the road after most recently falling to Central Connecticut, 67-50, earlier this week. The Pioneers picked up their first two wins of the season on the road against Fairfield, 56-44, and Binghamton, 77-69.
Haines Tough In The Paint...
Katherine Haines has now posted double digit scoring in her last three NEC games. Haines shot .538 from the field (7-13) Sunday against Central Connecticut.
The Sacred Heart starting five has showed great success in putting points on the board. For the third game in a row, SHU has had at least three Pioneers post double digits points. Katherine Haines led the way with 15 points against CCSU, while Hannah Kimmel tallied 10, and Kelcey Castro recorded 12 points as the Pioneers went on to fall to Central Connecticut 67-50.