Fairfield, CT. (January 23, 2017)— The Sacred Heart women's basketball team improve to 10-9 and 7-1 in the NEC after a late comeback lead by Shelby Hickey to defeat the Mountaineers of Mount St. Mary's 49-45. Katherine Haines recorded her third double-double of the season as she finished with 11 points, and 13 rebounds.
The Pioneers struck first as Adaysha Williams would drive to the basket for a layup. The Mountaineers would respond going on a 10-3 run, to take an early lead 10-5. Sacred Heart would go on a cold streak to close out the first quarter trailing 11-7.
Haines, who lead the team in the first quarter with five points, added the first two baskets for the Pioneers to start the second quarter and tie the game up at 11-11. Mount St. Mary's took advantage of the Sacred Heart fouls, going 3-3 and extending their lead to 18-13 with 4:25 remaining in the first half. Hannah Kimmel would keep the Pioneers in the game adding a shot from downtown to bring the score to 21-19, in favor of the mountaineers. Each team would exchange a pair of baskets to close out the first half, as Mount St. Mary's led 24-21.
Haines would start things off yet again in the second half, making a layup after a perfect feed from Williams. The Pioneers went on to take their first lead of the second half after Shelby Hickey was fouled, but would capitalize at the charity stripe going 2-2. Kimmel would snap a seven point Mount St. Mary's run by adding a layup at the 3:14 mark, moving the score to 31-29 in favor of the Mountaineers
Kimmel drove hard to the basket to add a layup to kick off the final quarter. Moving the score 35-33. Erin Storck would go on to drain a must needed bucket from beyond the arc to move the score to 37-36 with just 6:34 remaining. Tykera Carter added a layup directly after Storck's shot to give the Pioneers the lead 38-37 with 6:38 remaining in the game. The Mountaineers would respond immediately going on a five-point run and regaining the lead 42-38. Hickey hits a big trey with: 23 seconds remaining in the game giving the Pioneers the 47- 45 lead. Mount St. Mary's did all they could to overcome to deficit but SHU would close out the game 49-45.
The Pioneers return home this Saturday as they take on the LIU Brooklyn Blackbirds at 1:00pm.
Inside the Box:
- Haines finished the first half shooting .800 (4-5) from the field and leading the team with nine points. She would go on to finish the game with 11 points and 13 rebounds solidifying her third double-double of the season. Sacred Heart shot .500 from the field in the fourth quarter which proved the deciding factor in the late comeback.
- Shelby Hickey came up clutch for Sacred Heart draining a must needed three from the corner with :23 seconds remaining to give the Pioneers a 47-45 lead. Leaving the Mountaineers to little to late to stage a comeback. The Pioneers would hold on and win 49-45
How It Happened:
- Williams got the Pioneers on the board first, driving to the basket for the layup
- The Mountaineers would respond to going on a 10-3 run to take the lead 10-5. SHU's Haines would add a jumper after the media timeout to close the gap, leaving the score 10-7
- Sacred Heart went cold to close out the first quarter, going scoreless for the final three minutes. Haines would lead
- Haines, who ended the first quarter with five points, would add the first two buckets to get things started in the second quarter, and tie things up at 11 a piece.
- Mount St. Mary would capitalize from the charity strip, making three free throws to move their lead to 18-13 with 4:25 remaining before halftime
- Kimmel would put the Pioneers back into striking distance, after adding a shot from downtown to move the score to 20-19, in favor of the mountaineers.
- Each team exchanged a pair of baskets to close out the first half, leaving the score 24-21
- Haines started the second half with a layup, after a feed from Williams to move the score 24-23 in favor of the Mountaineers.
- The Pioneers took their first lead of the second half after Hickey was fouled, and went 2-2 from the charity stripe.
- Kimmel would snap a seven point Mount St. Mary's run by adding a layup at the 3:14 mark, moving the score to 31-29 in favor of the Mountaineers
- The Mountaineers would hold a slight advantage at the conclusion of the third quarter having a 35-31 lead.
- Kimmel drove hard to the basket to add a layup to kick off the final quarter. Moving the score 35-33
- Storck drained a must needed bucket from beyond the arc to move the score to 37-36 with just 6:34 remaining
- Tykera Carter added a layup directly after Storck's shot to give the Pioneers the lead 38-37
- Haines drove hard to the basket and picked up the layup to move the game within two points with 3:37 remaining in the game
- Hickey hits a big trey with :23 seconds remaining in the game giving the Pioneers the 47- 45 lead