LORETTO, Pa. – The Sacred Heart women's basketball team lost Monday night to the Saint Francis U Red Flash 83-69 at DeGol Arena, in the final regular season conference game for both teams. The Pioneers, however, will enter the upcoming Northeast Conference Tournament as the second seed.
Senior Adaysha Williams came close to a triple-double Monday night. Williams led SHU with 20 points, adding eight rebounds and eight assists. Shelby Hickey had 19 points, scoring 14 in the second half. Hickey was 5-for-9 from the three-point line. Katherine Haines had her ninth double-double of the season with 13 points and a game-high 14 rebounds.
- Sacred Heart (16-13, 13-5 NEC) got five straight points from Shelby Hickey to take a 5-2 lead with 6:06 left in the first.
- The Pioneers took their largest lead of the quarter with 4:29 to play when a Castro three-pointer put SHU ahead by four 10-6.
- Saint Francis U (16-13, 13-5 NEC) went on a 7-0 run in 1:15 to take a 15-12 lead with 2:07 left. Jessica Kovatch scored six of the seven Red Flash points.
- Katie Reese made a three with 0:17 to give Saint Francis U a 20-16 lead at the end of the first.
- Haines had four points and nine rebounds in the first. She had as many boards as the whole Red Flash team did in the quarter.
- Four straight points from Williams and Haines got the Pioneers within two, 22-20, at the 6:57 mark.
- Back-to-back threes by Kovatch and Courtney Zezza gave Saint Francis U a 28-20 lead with 6:13 left in the half.
- The Red Flash led 31-22 with 5:20 to play when Williams and Tykera Carter combined to go on a 10-2 run over 3:25 to get SHU within one, 33-32, with 1:55 to go.
- Saint Francis U scored the final six points of the half to take a 39-32 lead.
- The Red Flash scored seven of the first nine points of the second half to go up 12, 46-34, at the 7:01 mark,
- Sacred Heart came back with seven straight points over the next 1:38, with five straight from Haines making the score 46-41.
- Kovatch and Reese went on a 7-0 run at the 3:39 mark to put Saint Francis U back up by 12, 58-46, with 2:31 remaining in the quarter.
- SHU cut the deficit to six by the end of the quarter, as a Williams three with 0:06 left made the score 60-54.
- Saint Francis U opened the fourth on a 9-2 run to take a 69-56 lead with 6:38 to play.
- Hickey made three straight threes in less than two minutes to cut the deficit to nine, 74-65, at the 3:55 mark.
The Pioneers shot 37.3% from the field and were a perfect 9-for-9 at the foul line. Sacred Heart also outrebounded Saint Francis U 42-29. The Red Flash shot 51.7% from the field. Kovatch led all scorers with 35 points, going 12-for-21 from the field. Reese added 24 points.
Sacred Heart will host seventh-seeded St. Francis Brooklyn in the NEC Tournament quarterfinals on Sunday, March 5 at 1 p.m. at the Pitt Center. For tickets, call 203-396-TIXX.