NEW HAVEN, CONN. (October 14, 2016)—The Sacred Heart field hockey team was shut out by Rider Friday evening at Johnson Field. Pioneer goalkeepers Emily Degennaro (Wading River, N.Y.) and Lauren Musselman (Bethlehem, Pa.) combined for seven saves, but SHU fell to the Broncs 3-0.
The Pioneers return to action Sunday when the Bryant Bulldogs come to Johnson Field for a 6:00 p.m. game. Prior to the game, Sacred Heart will be honoring its five graduating seniors.
- Rider maintained control of the game throughout the first half, only allowing Sacred Heart into its offensive zone four times
- In the eighth minute, the Broncs got on the board as Alsina Clotet ran the ball in straight at the ball, but at the last minute passed it to Shannon Hughes who was waiting on the left side. The junior tapped it in for the game's first score
- Rider's offense continued to push, but strong defense by the Pioneers held the Broncs to just the one goal for the next 20 minutes until Melissa Cunningham made it a two-goal game converting a penalty corner for a goal
- The Broncs had plenty of chances in the last two minutes of the half as they earned four corners and took three shots, but again the Pioneer defense managed to keep it a two-goal game until the buzzer
- SHU took its only shot of the game in the second half as Kelsy Hopkins (Ambler, Pa.) put her shot on goal, but Rider goalkeeper Emily Gilligan made the save
- Rider increased their lead in the 40th minute as Carlie Spaeder drove passed the defenders and faked right just in front of the goal pulling Degennaro out leaving Spaeder with an open net