FAIRFIELD, CONN. (October 21, 2016)—Rebecca Hauser (Mohrsville, Pa.) netted her fifth goal of the season the Sacred Heart field hockey team's 7-1 loss to Fairfield Friday afternoon. The sophomore was responsible for three of SHU's eight shots and put two on goal.
The Pioneers will head to Brooklyn to take on LIU Brooklyn this Sunday, where both teams will still be looking for their first win of the season.
- The Stags got on the board early. After earning a corner just 2:39 into the game, Julie de Paeuw accepted the pass in and went right to Jaclyn Gallagher who score her third goal of the year
- Fairfield's offense continued to come at SHU hard taking the next five shots, but tough SHU defense stopped any from going in
- The Pioneers' Olivia Volpe (Metuchen, N.J.) and Hauser got off shots in the 15th minute, but were unable to even the score
- Fairfield owned a 2-0 lead at halftime after Ann Burgoyne's goal in the 27th minute
- The Stags expanded their lead just 38 seconds into the second half as Emma Clark sent a long pass into the middle of the circle for Hannah Pike
- Less than four minutes later, the Pioneers got on the board. After SHU failed to convert its first corner, it got a second chance. Allie Brouhard (Washington, N.J.) took the penalty corner for the Pioneers and dished it to the right of the circle to Kaeliegh Lord (Keene, N.H.), who set up Hauser for Sacred Heart's only goal
- That was all the offense Fairfield would allow the Pioneers, as the Stags went on to score four more goals in the final 30 minutes of the game