The Sacred Heart University field hockey team dropped a 4-1 decision to host Hofstra University Sunday afternoon in Hempstead, N.Y. The loss drops the Pioneers to 2-5 on the year, while the Pride improved to 4-5.
Hofstra scored three times in a 15:54 span from 13:10 through 29:06 of the first-half to build a 3-0 advantage. SHU got one of those back in the final minute of the first-half to make the score 3-1 at the break. Hofstra tallied the final goal of the match in the 56th minute.
The Pioneers return to action on Friday when they host Towson at 7 p.m. at Johnson Field.
- SHU finished with a 21-16 advantage in shots on the afternoon, forcing Carys Swan to make 12 saves for Hofstra
- The Pioneers earned 11 penalty corners on the afternoon, with eight for Hofstra
- Nichole Tolli tallied the Pioneers goal at 34:19 of the first-half, scoring a penalty stroke
- Madison Suave opened the scoring, putting a pass from Philine de Wolf between the goalkeepers legs
- Frankie O'Brien fed Jordan Thompson 6:04 later for the second goal of the game for Hofstra
- The 3-0 run was completed when O'Brien scored a penalty stroke at 29:06
- Taylor Casamassa scored an unassisted goal, knocking home a loose rebound at 55:01 to conclude the scoring