The Sacred Heart University field hockey team began a four-match road swing at UMass Lowell on Sunday, falling 2-1 to the host. The loss drops the Pioneers to 5-8 overall, while the River Hawks improve to 7-7.
UMass Lowell tallied both of its goals in the first half and took the 2-0 lead into the intermission. Sophie Gehrels tallied both goals for the host. The teams played evenly through most of the seocnd-half, before Nichole Tolli ut SHU on the board at 64:10.
The Pioneers are back in action on Wednesday at #19 Albany. That match begins at 4:00 pm
- Gehrels put UML atop 4:44 into the match, deflecting a pass from Clara Defourt into the net
- Defourt assisted on the second goal, feeding Gehrels at the right post for a tip-in goal at 24:50
- Tolli dribbled past the UML defenders and goalkeeper and tapped home the Pioneers tlaly at 64:10
- SHU held a 13-11 advantage in shots on the afternoon, including an 8-6 edge in the second half
- The Pioneers also held a 4-3 advantage in penalty corners, including the only one of the second-half
- Hailey Power made four saves for the Pioneers, minding the net for 67:05
- Allie Brouhard made a defensive save for the Pioneers
- Eva Berkhout made a save in 35:00 in the first-half to earn the win for UML, while Kelsey Federico minded the net in the second-half with two saves and a goal allowed