LIU Brooklyn converted a penalty stroke late in the first-half and made it stand up, defeating the Sacred Heart University field hockey team 1-0 Friday night at Johnson Field. The loss drops the Pioneers to 6-12 on the year and 2-3 in MAAC play, while the Blackbirds improve to 4-14 on the season and 4-2 in MAAC play.
The Pioneers had a final oppurtunity to tie the score with a penalty corner as time expired, but the shot went just wide.
SHU honored its senior class prior to the game. Cara Conery, Christina Gotthold, Lauren Lawson, Lauren Musselman, Nichole Tolli and Amanda Zerbinopoulos were recognized for their four year careers as Pioneers.
SHU will conclude the 2017 season on Sunday when it hosts Fairfield. That match is set for 5:00 pm at Johnson Field.
- Brooke McGinley put her penalty stroke attempt just inside the far post at 32:18 for the only tally of the game
- The loss eliminated SHU from MAAC Tournament contention and clinched a berth for LIU Brooklyn
- SHU held a 21-10 advantage in shots in the game, with a 13-5 edge in shots on goal
- LIU Brooklyn goalkeeper Molly Jannell made 13 saves
- Hailey Power made five saves for the Pioneers
- SHU earned 15 penalty corners, nine in the first-half, while LIU Brooklyn recorded seven