The Sacred Heart University field hockey team closed its 2017 season with a 2-0 win over Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference foe Fairfield University Sunday morning at Johnson Field. The Pioneers end the season at 7-12 overall and 3-3 in league action, while the Stags falls to 7-11 on the year and 4-2 in MAAC action.
Fairfield outshot the Pioneers 6-4 in the opening half of play, but Lauren Musselman was up to the task, stopping the three shots that she faced.
Lauren Lawson tallied the game-winner in her final game as a Pioneer, with an independent effort, dribbling into the circle, going to the far post and putting the ball home.
- Lawson tallied the game-winning goal at 44:43
- Kelsy Hopkins gave SHU an insurance tally at 57:31, netting a pass from Makenna Crawford
- SHU finished with a 14-13 advantage in shots on the day
- Fairfield had a 6-1 edge in penalty corners
- Hailey Power earned the win, minding the net for 29:20 and making four saves