NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. – The Sacred Heart women's lacrosse team moved to 0-2 on the 2018 season Wednesday after a 13-8 loss to the Iona Gaels at Mazzella Field.
SHU – 0-2
Iona – 2-1
- Iona went on a 3-0 run over 4:53 to take a 6-4 lead. Pamela Giordano had two of the three goals for the Gaels.
- SHU tied the game 6-6, as goals by Cesario and Metzler 30 seconds apart drew the Pioneers level with 2:51 to go.
- The Gaels took a 7-6 halftime lead on Maureen Murphy's goal with 0:11 left.
- Cesario tied the game 7-7 2:03 into the half. Taylor Sweeney assisted on the goal for her first career point.
- Goals by Jenna Tolzman and Katelyn Noschese put Iona back in front 9-7 with 21:34 to go.
- Wise finished off her hat trick with a free position goal at the 15:45 mark, getting SHU within one at 9-8.
- Iona closed the game with four straight goals in the final 11:00. Noschese scored three of those goals and assisted on the fourth.
- During that final stretch, McCaffrey made three saves to keep SHU at eight goals. McCaffrey had six saves in the half.
Key Stats and Notes
- Iona outshot SHU 30-20 and held a 21-17 advantage in groundballs.
- Wise and Cesario each led the Pioneers with three points. Cesario had two goals and an assist, adding four draw controls.
- Paige Hammick made nine saves in goal for SHU.
SHU hosts Fairfield in its home opener at Campus Field on Wednesday, Feb. 28 at 3 p.m.