Pioneers and Blue Devils Play to a 2-2 Tie

Pioneers and Blue Devils Play to a 2-2 Tie

FAIRFIELD, CT (September 25, 2011) – The Sacred Heart women's soccer team took a 2-0 lead early in the second half but Central Connecticut's Rosie Mcguire tallied a pair to tie the game where it would stay on a hot and muggy Sunday afternoon on Campus Field.  SHU sophomore Lucy Gildein (Topsfield, MA) and senior Amanda Stiles (Miller Place, NY) provided the Pioneer scoring.    

The first highlight play of the day came from junior goalkeeper Sydney Judkins (South Park, PA) when she made a diving save in the opening minutes of the first half to keep the game scoreless.  The Pioneers' first scoring opportunity came with 16:15 left in the half, when Central goalkeeper Nikola Deiter made a nice save on a shot by Jillian Picinich (Bellmore, NY)

The two teams evenly battled until Gildein made a very nice move to get past a defender and beat Deiter to the right side back of the net in the 31st minute for a 1-0 SHU lead.  After taking a 1-0 lead into the locker room, it did not take the Pioneers much time to gain the momentum in the second half.  Only 1:19 into play, Stiles scored her team-leading fifth goal of the season on a nice pass from Alyssa Brandofino (East Northport, NY).  For Brandofino, it was her second assist in as many games. 

That momentum quickly changed though as Mcguire took charge with a pair of goals just under eight minutes apart.  McGuire was awarded a penalty kick in the 46th minute and buried it past Judkins.  Her second came on a 30-yard strike high over the outstretched hands of Judkins off of a pass from Allison Kelley in the 64th minute of play.  For Maguire, it was her fourth and fifth goals of the season.

Each team only had one scoring opportunity the rest of the half, sending the game went into overtime.  

Judkins made a game saving diving stop with 3:37 to play in the first overtime, but that would be the only opportunity for either team in the first extra session.  Sacred Heart had their own chance to win the game, but Mikaela Wolf's (Northport, NY) shot was deflected wide left with 8:40 remaining in the second overtime.  Both teams traded possessions for the remainder of the game, but to no avail leading to a 2-2 final.

With the tie, the Pioneers stay undefeated at home with a record for 2-0-1, and are now 1-0-1 in NEC play.  This was the NEC opener for Central Connecticut.

SHU is on the road for their next three games starting next Friday, September 30th at Saint Francis (PA).